Chapter 6

Puffs of snow are kicked into the air, breaking apart to fall as flacks back to the ground. The snows hard packed on the patrol routes, and Kiera’s paws only sink half an inch into the cold powder. Heat radiates onto Kiera’s side, where Chase runs dutifully, careful not to run ahead of her.

It seemed Kiera had only been home ten minutes when Jordan had shown up. Kiera had a double shift of patrols tonight, along with an extra four over the week than any of the other young wolves, except Romy. She and Alex also had more than was meant. Because of her lack of obeisance and respect.

Kiera found it extra annoying when Kiera and Romy had been separated as patrolling partners, now, Chase runs beside her.

Kiera slows, watching her breath turn white in front of her face. At a slow trot the pair continues to walk, not even bothering to scan the walls.

I’m so hungry’Chase thinks bluntly. Kiera bristles at the whine in his voice. ‘Is it change over time yet?’ Kiera shakes her head, probably looking ridiculous. Chase lets of whine, nudging Kiera’s side with his nose. ‘You’re really quiet. Talk to me.’

Kiera flickers her ears back at Chase, even though there’s no use. Turning her head slightly, she glances at him. He almost blends into the snows, only his honeycomb eyes stand out, a complete opposite to her. The only thing she can blend into is soot, and even than her lighter markings may give her away. Her grey eyes almost blend into her fur, too light to seem almost black, too light to blend into the snow. ‘What do you want me to say?’ Kiera asks as she turns away. Sunlight flashes through the leaves, dappling the snow in grey and shiny white.

‘I don’t know…tell me about your family? What are they like’

‘Werewolves,’ Kiera says bluntly.

‘What?’

‘They’re like werewolves’

Chase snorts, nudging her harder with his nose. ‘Haha, very funny. Give me more info, like… how many siblings do you have? What are their names, ages? What’s the craziest thing they’ve ever done?’

‘You’re nosey’ Kiera throws at Chase, only joking. She slaps him with her tail, and growls when he nudges her again.

‘No, not nosey. It’s called a conversation. If this was a test, you’d get an F, by the way. So I’ll start than, miss keeps-to-herself. I’m an only child-shocker, I know. My dad was killed two years after I was born, they didn’t want to have another child until I was a few years older. Didn’t happen.’

Kiera frowns and stops, waiting for Chase to be standing beside her before she continues walking. He doesn’t fall back again. ‘What about the boy I saw at you’re house the other day’

Chase shakes out his pelt, sending little droplets of water all over. Kiera growls. ‘You mean Carter? Remember when Tristan and Ally died… 3 years ago now? They had a few kids, Carter was one of them. Jordan asked if mum could take in Carter, the others were being shared between other families.’