Chapter 12

Since Kiera was young, before she was even born, Revokers had attacked the Alcrest lands, killing and murdering. They ruined everything as they slaughtered. Regardless of who, how or why.

But as soon as Kiera leaps into the group, a savage beast among fearless murders, they scatter. In a confused blur, Kiera spins around, slashing wildly at any attackers. People shout at each other, dodging the through trees. Kiera snarls, unsure which fleeing form to hunt.

She knows they’re doing it on purpose, but the uncertainty who to follow nags at her. With a hateful growl she bounds after a pair closest to her. Fear hangs in the air, enough for Kiera to smell the tang, to practically taste it. Fire and ice play through her body.

Within a few long strides Kiera’s at the Revokers heels and snarls her ravage as she lunges. Blood floods her mouth as she slams into the man’s leg, ripping flesh with ease.

A rugged scream splits the air, but Kiera ignores it.

Hands futilely scrap at her face in hopes to dis lodge her. She refuses to let go of the man’s thigh. She tugs him back, shaking her head to shred the flesh. His mangled leg is unresponsive, but with the other he kicks at her side with weak attempts. Out of nowhere a foot smashes into Kiera ribs, sending her sprawling into the snow.

Pain laces over her side, strangling her breath as she bursts from the snow. With a choked snarl Kiera starts circling the unharmed Revoker. The black haired guy watches her warily, struggling to lift the injured man. “Walk away. We don’t want to fight you,” he coaxes.

Too bad. I wanna fight you the beast in Kiera hisses.

“Fucking bitch!” The first man clutches at his shredded thigh. The leg hangs uselessly.

Kiera can’t help but think he’s hopeless. Weak. He will die before he gets to the wall, losing his life and blood. Such a stupid man. To think he could escape. Stupid, to think coming onto Alcrest land was going to be fun. Easy. He thought he could kill.

No.

Kiera suddenly charges as the men back away.

A knife appears out of nowhere, a seeming barrier between the Revoker and her. It’s so small, so…unhelpful . The injured Revoker is dropped, shouting as he hits the ground as the second turns to meet her head on.

Fire and pain streak through Kiera stomach. She lands harshly on the Revoker, knocking them over chokes out a sound that’s neither growl nor yelp. She jumps backward, the knife sliding free with another flash of bright hot pain. Through the haze of pain Keira spots the knife coming at her head. She blindly jerks back, landing clean on her back.

Frantically she rolls away and onto her side then finally onto her feet. She whimpers in agony, trying to glance at the wound. The Revoker lets out a laugh. It’s odd in the dark forest, haunting. “I did try to gave you a chance.” Blood stains his stomach and chest in splashes of red, and his shoulder smeared crimson-curtesy of his friend.

Kiera glances up from her bloody stomach, snarling her challenge. The man swims in her eyes, eyes blurring into dark holes of nothing. She shakes off the pain.