Chapter 17

Alex moves to Chase’s side as soon as he stops them. Kiera pulls away from Chase, the recent affection dissipating at the sight of others.  Alex nods a silent greeting to her before he turns towards Chase with a sheepish grin. “What’s this meeting for again? I don’t pay attention to anything people say.”

“Mock Alpha discussion” Chase’s fingers curl around Kiera’s, trying to pry them apart. “See who is fit to be the future alpha.” She keeps her hand fisted, refusing to let him hold her hand. Chase’s eyes narrow, making Alex frown, his right eye twitching.

“Ah…okay. Dude, are you constipated or something?”

“Yeah, Kada-wait? What did you just ask?” Chase pauses, warm fingers stilling against Kiera’s. She snorts in amusement.

Alex chuckles. “Nothing man, nothing. What are you doing anyway?”

“She won’t give me her hand!” Chase exclaims, spinning around. He jerks her hand up, showing her closed fist. “Do you hate me!?” he asks desperately. His fingers fumble over hers, looking for a way to pull them open. Kiera watches him closely, but aware of Alex’s sad, wistful smile behind Chase’s big fat head. Her fingers uncurl. “Huh!” he barks, shinning with achievement. His fingers curl around her’s gently, thumb rubbing her knuckles.

“You should really hold a girls hand tighter” she informs before pulling her hand free from his grasp easily. Chase whines, trying to snatch it again. She slides her hands into her pockets, turning away.

“Ki! Don’t be mean. I want to-“ before he can finish the doors the Alcrest manor door swings open.

Jordan and Eleanor step out. Eleanor looks regal as always, dark hair pulled into an intricate bun at the back of her head. Jordan looks much more rugged next to her, 5 o’clock shadow starting to show and his flannel shirt torn at the hem and hanging open to a plain white shirt underneath. “Good morning young wolves,” Eleanor greets voice smooth. “Please come in, the meeting is about to start.” Her heels click as she wonders down the hallway, but Jordan doesn’t move.

“I expect you all on your best behaviour” his eyes flick over the group, eyeing most of the girls before flicking to the guys. “Or your worst.”

Kiera follows the Alpha into the house, eyeing the others around her. Only half of them seemed around her age. Others were well into their 30’s. Chase’s hand suddenly finds her back, and when she glances at him in annoyance, he’s not looking at her. To one side are a pair of guys jolting each other, knocking into people as they play fight. Chase glares at them. After a long second Kiera looks turns away from Chase.

It takes a while for the large pack of young people to pile through the double doors into the small meeting room. Every chair in the room faces towards a low table set in the three quarters of the way up the room. Nearly a full circle, but the back wall is empty of chairs, like a mini stage or a wide walkway.  The area around the table is cleared, and a something lays on the surface, something white and green.

Kiera finds a seat at the back, watching the crowd shift and move. Chase sits beside her, hands to himself again. Her patient’s ebbs as the last few people file into the room and find seats. Chase leans back on his chair, crossing his ankles. “Wake me when this is over?”