Chapter 9

Alcohol flows like blood in veins, so thick Kiera can smell it wafting off people. The few shirtless girls had turned into every second girls by the time every guy had lost their tee’s.  Everyone except Chase, who only had the faintest smell of beer on him, curtsy of Kadar trying to force drink him til Chase finally pushed him away. It was the most Kiera had seen that even faintly resembled dominance from Chase, but Kadar was so pissed she was surprised the wind wasn’t knocking him over. He didn’t even notice being pushed away; he just laughed and stumbled away.

A small lick off warmth flickers through Kiera’s veins from the mouthful of bitter beer she’s consumed. Now she knew how Wolves, even with the extra body heat, could be shirtless in the snow. Flames lick through her blood, but her stomach felt heavy with the substance of alcohol. “I don’t think wolves should drink” Kiera sighs. She didn’t know how much humans could drink before becoming drunk, but she was sure that Kadar had already drank two dozen beer and downed a bottle of vodka, which she thought may put a human into a coma. It was strong stuff.

“You don’t say?” Chase snorts. He stretches his long legs out, looking at her sideways. “I don’t think it’s agreeing with me.”

“That’s because you’re weird,” Kiera explains smoothly, “It seems to be agreeing with everyone else.”

“Or maybe,” Chase declares, “they’re agreeing with it.”

She rolls her eyes at him. A fleck of snow drifts onto Kiera’s hand. She lets it melt and dribble off her skin, leaving an icy trail. She couldn’t help think that even a snow storm wouldn’t deter the party goers. Kiera had through Cody wouldn’t drink, but looking around she can see the blond girl drinking while specs of snow fall slowly.

The tree’s overhead bow in the increasing wind and snow shacks off the dead branches to land between the pair. Leaning against a tree, they were far enough away that the fire’s warmth didn’t touch them, but they had a full view of the ‘fun’ while staying out of the ‘fun’ zone.

“Do you think Jordan’s stopped lecturing them yet and they’ve started packing their bags?”

“Why would they pack their bags?” Kiera frowns at Chase.

He shrugs. “Jordan isn’t the type of guy to forgive them. He’ll probably send them away; you know, kick them out.”

“I know what ‘send on their way’ means, Chase” She breathes. She stares at Chase for a bit, behind him the darkness stretches into oblivion. “Nah, the lecturings probably not over yet”

“How long has it been anyway?” Chase groans. “An hour since we got here?”

“More like half an hour” Kiera corrects.

He thumps his head against the tree with a groan. “What? Parties are supposed to be fun, not mind-numbing.”

“Who told you that?” Kiera leans the side of her head against the rough bark. Snow clings to Chases hair, and a frown is frozen on his face. His honey eyes reflect the white flakes twirling in the sky like tiny ballerinas.