Chapter 20

Sorry! This was done ages ago, but i forgot to post it! (not tthat anyone says they want it...)

Kiera stares numbly out the car window. No longer does the exotic machine’s growl make her uneasy, and the scenery is ten times less interesting then when she’d first whizzed by. She has no idea which direction Crevan is driving, or if Corinth’s in the car, or if she is even with anyone at all. To her, there is no one, nothing but movement that she doesn’t care about and smells that can’t grab her attention.

She thinks they may have gone through the town, past dark windows, under towering lights and past sleeping cars. Really, she can’t remember.

When she finally forces herself out of the numb pit the grey world of snow, trees and sky is back. So is the sharp stab in her chest. If I don’t think about it, It can’t hurt me, she tells herself forcefully.

“Where are we going?” Kiera asks and winces. Her voice is weak, shaky and sounds thick with tears. The water works had stopped through, a while ago- she thinks.

“Mount Break” Crevan says from the front. “I wanna show you something there.”

Kiera tenses. The last time they had shown her something it involved a barn were werewolves were slaughtered. Mount Break sounds just as unpleasing. “Why?” Chase turns at Kiera’s voice, alerted by the hard edge that has returned. She ignores him completely and continues. “Is it another sick slaughter house?”

Corinth spins around before Crevan can speak. She looks young as she leans between the chairs; face pressed against hers as she watches the female wolf evenly. “No. This place is better, you will like it there, promise,” she smiles adorably. She can’t be more then 19.

Kiera leans back into her seat, unsure what to say. After a long minute she turns on Chase, almost growling in displeasure. The words are harder to say then she expects. “How long have you known about Romy?”

Chase meets her eyes briefly before looking away. He doesn’t get to say anything before Kiera attacks with another question. “Did you know that happened to them before she left?” She strains against the seat belt hard. She’s itching to hit him, or open the door and kick him out. The second will probably do more damage.

He looks shocked at her accusation. “No! God, no, Ki! If I had known I would have stopped it! I only knew…two days before you? Something like that! Geez, Kiera, I could hardly look at you knowing that. I wanted to tell you but…well…you don’t handle shocking news well.”

“I do so!” Kiera snaps. She leans back again, bitting down hard on her annoyance. Chase is right, she knows, but he still shouldn’t keep things from her, especially things like that. Romy is dead. Her best friend is dead, and Chase didn’t tell her. The sting is unbareable.

Chase’s eye brow rises slightly, but he says nothing.

“…Fine! I don’t take news like that well. If you said you wanted to make-out with a tree, then I wouldn’t care!”