Chapter 7

Kiera closes Hunter’s door quietly, making sure to leave a gap for light. She pads down the hallway, effortlessly quiet. Darkness is the only thing she sees in her room, and the faintest outline of the sky outside, leafless branches reaching for the waxing moon outside. The nights quiet, but Kiera can almost hear the whooping of voices, crackle of the fire eating wood, smell the beer, sweat and teenage freedom. She knows Romy can sense it too, if she not passing it on her run.

With a soundless sigh, Kiera drops onto her bed, pulling at the blankets over her. For a while she looks at the ceiling, debating. Part of her wants to go to the party, to drink and have fun and let go. But the other part of her strongly disagrees.

Fleetingly, the Revokers cross her mind. Kiera sits up in bed, looking out the window at the night. With the moon waxing, the night’s brighter than when she battled the Revokers. She wonders if they will attack again, and decides it’s a very small chance since it was only two nights ago they’d last invaded.

Kiera drops back onto the bed, and another thought comes to her. Anxiously, she glances at the half moon. Anywhere between the ages of 16 to 20 the werewolves are overcome by the curse, experiencing there first real tastes the affliction. She’s always heard the first unwilling change is the worst, the most painful and savage. Werewolves are known to have died from it.

The bed creaks slightly as Keira rolls over, refusing to look at the night –the moon especially- any longer. But even when not looking at the huge silver rock, it plagues her mind. At 17, Kiera still hasn’t experiences her first compulsory shift.

But Romy had; two moons ago. Kiera can still remember sitting in the huge room acting as there jail for the night, and being startled as Romy screamed and crippled over. Minutes later, a wolf had stood in front of her with the most animal look in its eyes. It wasn’t Romy anymore. Kiera didn’t even flinch as the beast was shot, and dragged away while it was unconscious.

Romy refused to talk about it the next day.

Kiera banishes the wolf from her thoughts, curling into the blankets with a sigh. Time slides by for her slowly, and the wolves and monsters, Revokers and memories haunt her. Sleep seems to evade her, and she grumbles to herself before rolling over again.

The softest sound pulls at Keira’s body; stirring her til she’s alert. Each muscle tenses, and a growl threatens to rumble in her chest. Instead she twists around in bed, staring at the recently open window. A silhouette is crouched, one foot already placed on her floor. “I’d say ‘boo,’ but you might kill me…” Chase whispers, stepping down from the ledge. He grins at her, taking in her supported, tense position. “Should I jump out the window?” When she says nothing he chuckles softly. It’s edgy though, tight. “I’ll leave it open just in case.”

“What are you doing here?” she asks, forcing herself to sit up in a less aggressive posture. With effort she relaxes her muscles.

“Checking in on my favourite girl,” he grins childishly.

Kiera growls.

Chase glances at the window, but makes no move to run. “You’re a ray of sunshine; as usual. There’s a party on tonight. I thought you would have went”