Chapter 26

For a while Kiera can do nothing but stare where her mother and best friend had vanished. It doesn’t seem real for a moment. When she’s finally pulled from her blank mind it’s by Chase bitter ‘oh’. At first she thinks he’s just trying to be funny, or maybe he’s finally realizing this isn’t a little joke and the Alcrests won’t see it as one either.

When Kiera turns to Chase his mouth is pulled into a bitter frown, and Carters pointing at the sky silently. She follows his finger, but sees nothing but a blanket of grey clouds crawling and shifting with a wind.

She meets Chase’s eyes and sees that he isn’t just bitter, he’s regretful.

“Kiera” He says softly.

It seems he doesn’t want to bestow the bad news. “What?” She demands and quickly bites down on her tongue. There is little he can say now to make this day worse, but surely nothing can be good now. It’s all falling into a deep whole she won’t be able to dig herself out of.

Sadie is probably dead; her mum may be next, then possibly all her friends, the Alcrests will be expecting a huge fight, and if Chase or Kiera ever go back the whole pack will likely be informed to kill them. Nothing can make this day any worse.

“There’s no moon tonight” Chase says softly.

After a moment a bitter amusement prickles in Kiera’s chest. “So?”

He looks pained. “There’s a good chance we will Shift. We will try to murder everyone here. I get you don’t really care, but…”

Kiera bursts out laugh, and Hunter for a moment looks scared, and then joins her, giggle awkwardly. Chase is horrified. “Really? That’s what you’re worried about,” she muses sardonically. “That’s an easy fix.”

“Ki…murder everyone?” Chase reminds slowly.

Kiera rolls her eyes. She hasn’t forgotten that little detail. “Hey Raymond? I guess you get another chance to shoot us. Think you can handle that?”

“Don’t tease me,” Raymond snaps, but he’s oddly pleased.

“I wouldn’t dare” She snarls. Why would anyone tease about letting someone shoot them-even if it is only with tranquilizers? She glances at Hunter, who looks at the Revokers with wide dark eyes. The laughing ended, and now he’s just scared. She holds him closer, sends Crevan a quick challenging glare before she crosses over to Corinth who’s standing silently to the side.

“Corinth, this is my brother Hunter. You are going to be looking after him and Carter tonight because I won’t be able to. If he or Carter gets hurt, I’m holding you responsible. And remind your brother,” Kiera pauses to look at Raymond as she raises her voice, “if he even tries to hurt either of them, I will rip out his throat.”

Raymond snort. “As if I’d kill a kid. I kill wolves, not kids. I’m not a monster”

“Well someone shot him” Kiera snarls. Hunter curls into her side. She pauses, trying to stifle further arguments; showing Hunter that she doesn’t like the Revokers isn’t going to help him feel safe here. She hopes he’s safe, she needs him to be safe.