Chapter 25

The next few days fly by. Kiera wrist is completely healed only two days after the incident that fractured it, but her neck still has tell tail signs of abuse with thin, almost unnoticeable scares. Part of her hates seeing them, the other part doesn’t really mind since it seems to remind the young, obnoxious Revokers not to mess with her.

Kiera almost goes mad with nothing to do since Chase won’t let her train with the Revokers in case she gets hurt again.

After an hour of watching Chase and the ever changing opponent dance around each other, she’d had enough.

Crevan had offered them things to do while she worked out the battle plan, keeping both wolves in the loop as she figures out the detail. For now, Chase and an older Revoker are teaching the younger Revokers how to fight wolves. For years they’d trained to learn how to fight, but fighting people never helped them prepare for wolves. Creven said the first fight for every Revoker killed 3 out of every 5.

Even using wooden knives and plastic swords don’t stop Chase from being covered in fresh bruises by the end of the day.

Kiera quickly takes the steps to the training mats below the observation balconies above. Few Revokers mill around watching the session but none notice Kiera as she undresses and shifts at the base of the stairs.

The fight is way to fair to be real; it does nothing to prepare them. One on one, with Chase holding back to not even touch them, is like dance practise more than anything.

Kiera is going to prepare them; she doesn’t care how many bruise she receives or gives.

She’s not going to fight beside a bunch of kids who can’t protect themselves let alone can’t defeat a wolf.

She pauses a moment, hunching low to the ground. The Revokers back’s at to her and the new opponent and Chase are prancing around each other, too busy to notice her. Not once does the fighter cover their back, not once does she glance behind her

Way to easy.

Kiera tenses where she is, still hunched low and ready to pounce. When she finally bursts forward not even the older guy is attentive enough to stop her.

Kiera quickly dodges through the thin crowd and into the play fight where she barrels into the Revoker girl without pause. There’s a scream of surprise followed by a thump as she hits the ground and Kiera pulls up beside Chase, shoulder aching slightly from where it had collided with the girls leg.

Chase grumbles his displeasure, but Kiera ignores him as she spins around and leaps at the fallen girl again.

The girl screams as Kiera pounces on her, throwing her arm up. The wooden knife is gone, discarded on the soft mats beside the girl, so her arm is her only shield which Kiera easily ducks under til her nose is near the girl’s throat. She freezes there, teeth bore in a attack.

The girl trembles but is otherwise paralysed with shock.  For a moment the room is still, silent as it holds its breath.