Chapter 31

The sun’s warm and bright, warming Kiera’s exposed legs Trees sway in the cold wind, but the chill doesn’t bite into her skin. Around her the world if quiet. Peaceful.

The sun peaks over the mountain like a bright eye chasing away the darkness. Warm rays of gold wash over the valleys and mountains until they are made of gold rather than ice and stone.

The shapes of birds swoop like thin black lines over the horizon. It’s while watching one of the black figures that she spots the tiny blotch of a town in the distance. The same town that took her to the shed where she found the first of the furs, and the same she passed through to get to the mountain she now sits atop.

Her eyes stay on the town but her attention drifts to the footsteps behind her.

“You’re up early”

She lifts one shoulder in a shrug. Truth is she hasn’t gone to bed all night. The night had called and she was in no position to ignore it. Lately her minds been flooded with too many thoughts for her to do much more then eat or shower; let alone sleep.

Chase lowers himself onto the metal table beside her, also sitting on the table rather than the seats below. Carefully he pulls a robe around her shoulders. She knows he knows she doesn’t sleep, but neither bring it up. For now, the small fact is too unimportant to talk about.

Right now, there are so many more important things that need to be discussed; topics haven’t been breached yet.. 

For a long while they say nothing.

Kiera doesn’t mind the numbness spreading through her brain, it much easier to deal with then the cold hard facts of reality.

“You know,” Chase muses weakly, “when I thought about our future….it was never like this”

She says nothing.

“It’s been nearly a week, Kiera.”

“It’s only been two days” she murmurs.

His finger play on the hem of his shirt. “…Five actually”

Her brow creases, but she doesn’t respond. Her mind should have come up with something there, but her brains been on vacation for a while-still is apparently. There’s nothing.

“Kiera, please. I know it’s hard, but closing into yourself won’t help. You need to talk to someone; you need to talk to me.”

There’s an edge to his tone she can’t understand. Still, she remains mute.

“It’s not the end of the world you know, there’s still life out there. People are still alive, there are still people who fought and lived and loved and cherished as you did, Kiera. Yes it’s sad, yes it’s okay to mourn, and yes it’s okay to push aside all the hurt for a moment; but it won’t go away.”