23. Deadlock

It's time for Jungkook to get some screen time. So all you Jungkook fans, who are waiting for the sequel (where Jungkook will be in the lead), here's a sneak peak ;)))))

His eyes are cautiously moving. Blinking several times, he drags his hand down his face. I assume it is, because of his lack of sleep. Looking at his face that is the only explanation I can think of.

Not bearing to hold it in any longer I end up asking: "Have you slept at all for the past week?"

To me it is alarming how nervous he looks. The police officer bites his lower lip, longer than someone normally would. When he stammers: "Didn't have time for that." I can faintly see blood on his tongue.

Time? What is he on about? Of course, he had the time for it. There is time for everything, especially for sleep. Looking like he does now, he should not even think about time being limited.

"Time is what you make it ought to be."

Grumpier than usual, that is what he is. He does not even bother looking at me. "Yeah, yeah, whatever, Shakespeare." 

His voice comes out unusually hoarse, and fills me with the feeling of being unwanted.

Sorry, Mr. Policeman, I can't just hop out of the car. Demon Yoongi might still be after me.

"No, I honestly mean it, you can't drive like this." He rolls his eyes. I do not like his attitude. Why is be behaving like this? "When I saw your car driving towards me, I thought you were drunk."

Yet again, he doesn't seem to recognize my words for what they are; the truth, of course. He hears what he wants to hear.

I once read that men tend to only recognize 3 out of 5 words, which I couldn't understand, since an average woman interprets 8 out of 5 words.

It seems like Jungkook does not wish to get rid of me straight away, for he decides to spark up a conversation. "Speaking of which; what were you doing out there?"

He does not get to question me. This, whatever this is, has to be a two-sided thing. Like a symbiosis.

My reply is rather short, but consistent: "Long story."

For the first time small movements in his neck are visible, but even this does not make him lose sight of the mirror, which gives him full view of the distance we have put behind us. Something is out there.

Then, with a voice roaring of authority, he states: "We have a long trip ahead of us."

Who does he think he is? He doesn't get to ask all the questions.

"I meant a really long story."

"We have a really long-" My fast hand movements are what makes him stop talking.

"No, I have to let tonight's events sink in."

His eyes widen in realization. "Something unnatural happened to you." He doesn't even question it. He knows.

I am trying to act cool. "Define natural."

Nothing related to Jimin or Yoongi, I suppose.

"Opposite of supernatural."

Funny that natural exists. I catch his eyes in the mirror, looking at me. "I can't remember anything non-supernatural happening to me lately."

Somehow he looks relieved. Has he perhaps been encountering similar things?

Pointing behind he says: "Say it louder for the people in the car driving behind us."

Panic gripping me, I turn in my seat faster than Jungkook realizes what he has done. When I don't see any cars, my panic gets replaced with confusion. All I need to hear is Jungkook's laughter, to confirm that no one was actually following us. He just found it necessary to trick me, in a time like this.