25. Backstabber

I would say I was saved by the bell, but then I would be lying. 

Yes, I felt relieved when Jimin left. 

No, I don't like the tone in Jungkook's voice when he asks me: "What was he talking about?"

Jimin only left because he knew the trouble he left me in, was more than any potential trouble he could have caused now. When I tell you I was getting dizzy from all of this back and forth, I'm not even exaggerating. 

How do you tell you tell your friend that you know his father is beating him? Most importantly how do you tell him that you saw him getting beaten with your own two eyes and did nothing? The greatest shame is that I could have told Jungkook earlier, instead of ignoring it. Now, I'm only coming clear because I'm being forced by my patient. 

But, since when are Jungkook and I even friends?

Shut up, I tell myself, it doesn't even matter whether you are friends or not. You have to help him.

That's the only right thing to do. 

"I was going to mention it some day", I lie. I was never planning to ask him, or even reveal to him that I knew his secret. I don't even know if it was a secret. Maybe everyone knew, but just chose to ignore it?

Sure I wanted to find out the truth and help him, but it was nowhere near my place to be asking him questions about his private life.

"I don't get it." 

I let out a breath before I find the courage to say: "I know your father isn't a nice man." I thread carefully. The last thing I want is to come off as rude and offend him, or even worse; hurt him. 

He, however, shrugs while turning his palms upwards. "No shit." He pats the space next to him, as if he is looking for something. "I don't get it", he says.

"You don't get what?"

"I don't get where my bread is. Did Jimin take my bread?"

I nod slowly. "Yes, but he left the cheese."

"Why?" He is starting to sound irritated

"What do you mean why? He just said he was lactose intolerant." I'm a bit taken aback by his reaction, but I try to ignore it. We have more important issues to discuss. I can't drag this any longer, so I blurt out with: "And I know you don't like your father."

"I despise him." He doesn't even move while saying that.

"And I know you'd rather see your dad dead than Jin."

"Most definitely."

"You can deny it, but- Wait. You agreed?"

"Heck yeah. But, Evelin those are no secrets. Everyone knows these things about me."

"They do? I thought I was the only one. Well, except for Jimin."

"Yes. I even talked to Jin about these things. Well, it was more him talking to me about those things. " When he mentions Jin, my heart sinks. Everything is so chaotic, yet that shouldn't justify why I keep forgetting Jin . He was my brother, not by blood truth be told, but as close as it gets. "It's empty here without him. Don't you think?" 

"Yeah, it is", I end up saying, not wanting to push this any further. He seems to understand that I don't want to talk about this. 

Jungkook says: "My father believes in tough love, minus the love part. I guess I didn't live up to his expectations while growing up. Even now, I think he'd be better off without me."