Chapter 8

TYLER

September 8, 2013 7:00 a.m.

"Hello?" said Tyler as he answered the phone. Mr. Roberts had no idea who was on the other end of the phone since the call had been from a restricted number.

"Hello, is this Mr. Tyler Roberts, CEO of Samba Cola and billionaire?" asked the person on the other end. The person on the other end of the phone sounded like a man, but Tyler didn't know if the person's voice had been manipulated or not.

"Yes, it is. What do you want?"

"Actually, I have quite an interesting deal for you. You see, my comrade and I have something you want, and you have something we want."

"What is it?" asked Tyler, suddenly feeling sick as he leaned against the kitchen counter.

"Well, we have your children, and we are asking for ten million dollars in exchange for them," said the person evilly.

Mr. Roberts was shocked. This was a ransom call. "When and where do want the money?" he asked frantically.

"Well, here's the twist. My partner and I would like the ten million dollars, but not all at once. We would like one million per month."

"But that means that you will be keeping my children for ten months!" yelled Tyler in outrage.

"Yes, it does, but if you ever want to see your children again, you'd better agree to our terms. Leave your first payment by the fountain in the park on First Street in Edina. Oh, and leave a cheeseburger with extra pickles in with the payment. I will have someone; well in this case, something might be a term, waiting to pick up your payment. Come two days from now on September tenth at 4:31 p.m., and don't be late! It was nice talking to you," said the person. Then he or she hung up without another word.

"Gina, come here quickly. We have to go back to the police."

"Why?" asked Mrs. Roberts as she entered the kitchen.

"I have just received a ransom call from our children's kidnappers. They are asking for one million dollars per month for ten months if we ever want to see our children again."

Gina's jaw dropped.

"I know. Now we'd better hurry and get to the police to tell them what happened," said Tyler.

"Okay, let's go," said Mrs. Roberts as she went to get her coat.

***

"A ransom call, huh," said the police officer after the Roberts had finished telling their story.

"What do you think we should do, Officer Smith?" asked a concerned Mrs. Roberts.

"Well, kidnappers will lie a lot of times just to get more money, but I think, in order to keep you children the safest they can be, you should give the kidnappers what they want," replied the officer. "I'm sorry, that's all I can do for you right now. When you drop off the first ransom payment two days from now, I will make sure to have officers surrounding the park so we can maybe catch the kidnappers," replied Officer Smith.

"Okay, thank you for your help," said Tyler.

"It's what I do," replied the officer.