Chapter 9

RIKKI

September 9, 2013 7:30 a.m.

"Adam, wake up! I know who our kidnappers are!" I shouted as I shook my brother to wake him up.

"Hmm," groaned Adam.

"I know who our kidnappers are. They're Troy and Jeff Swenson. Troy is Blair Castro's rival and Jeff is Troy's dad."

"Really?" asked Adam as he sat up quickly. "How do you know?"

"Do you know how much I know about the NBL?"

"Well, I guess you are obsessed with Blair Castro and the Huskies. I believe you."

"Hey, I'm not obsessed," I said as Adam gave me "the look."

"Okay, fine, maybe I'm a little obsessed. Back to what's important. I'm guessing that they probably kidnapped us because our dad's a billionaire. The men want Dad's money in exchange for our lives. The only thing I want to know is why they want money even though Troy's probably a millionaire from being an NBL player."

"Well, actually, I don't think Troy has very much money anymore. I heard Dad talking about how he's had to pay tons of fines for all of the flagrant fouls he's gotten. I also heard that he's broke from buying a beach house recently," said Adam.

"Well, I guess that makes sense. I've been thinking, since Troy's an NBL player, he'll have to go back to Miami soon. When he leaves, that means you and I will be left alone with just the old guy. I think we'll be able to escape easier then," I said.

"Good idea. Wait, shhh, I think the bad guys are coming," said Adam. Adam warned me to be quiet just in time, because two seconds later, Troy entered the bunkhouse.

"Good morning, my little hostages! Guess what Dad and I have been up too?" said Troy all too eagerly.

"Because I care so much I'll ask; what have you and your dad been up to?" I asked with a bored voice as I examined my dirty fingernails.

"Hey, show some respect or I'm going to slap you," replied Troy.

"Wow, I'm so scared. You're threatening to slap me," I said mockingly as I held up my hands like I was surrendering.

"That's it. I've had enough of this shit," said Troy. He slapped me across my right cheek. Hard. Right after Troy slapped me, his face changed from pure anger to a look of shock.

"Hey, leave my sister alone!" shouted Adam as he charged Troy.

"Adam, don't!" I cried as I grabbed him. "Don't, he's not worth it. I'm fine. Let me handle this."

"Aww, look at that, big sister is protecting little brother. How sweet," said Troy, trying to sound sarcastic through his obvious shock. "Do you want to hear what my dad and I did or not?"

"Well, I personally don't care, but since you're so excited about sharing what you guys did, go ahead and tell all. I'll pretend to actually care," I said eagerly with a fake smile.

"You little rat," said Troy with anger. "My dad and I have put a ten million dollar ransom on you two. For ten months, your parents will give us a million bucks. If they don't cooperate, my dad and I will kill you. Who's laughing now, princess?"

"Wow, I can't believe that you're desperate enough to kidnap billionaires' children just to pay off your fines and be able to buy new extravagant beach houses," I said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" asked Troy, trying to sound confused.

"Ha, don't play innocent. I know who you really are. You're not Jacque Nelson's son; you're Jeff Swenson's son. You play for the Miami Flames. You're the nastiest player in the whole NBL. You're Blair Castro's rival. Yes, you are the one and only Troy Swenson." I had left Troy speechless. "Oh, you don't think girls know anything about the NBL, do you? Well, I know all about you, Troy. Ever since Blair entered the league and stole your limelight, you've been out to get him and every other decent player in the NBL. You hold the league record for most personal fouls and the record for most flagrant fouls. Also, with the ego that you have you make A-Rod look like the world's most humble person. Oh and by the way, unlike half the women in this country, I do not like you. At all. Not even a little bit. Zip. Nada. Zero..." I said, but before I could finish insulting Troy, he interrupted me.

"You will shut up now, or else. I don't know how you know so much about me or even why a girl would want to know so much about me, but I suggest that you do everything that I say, or I will kill you."

"I don't believe that you would kill me or my brother. You want to know why? Well, first of all you are scared of me..."

"I am not scared of you, and I certainly will kill you."

"Once again, I don't believe you. Now, where was I? Oh yeah, I was listing reasons why you wouldn't kill us, when I was rudely interrupted. Second of all, I don't think you'd want to be known as a murderer if the media ever found out about what you have done. Finally, I think that you like me. You don't like the fact that I don't like you. You see me as a challenge, and you are going to do whatever you can to make me like you. For example, you gave Adam and me oranges even though your dad didn't know. You like me, but I certainly don't like you. Try to wrap that around that idiotic brain of yours," I said with a smirk.

"Ha, and there's where I don't believe you. I think that you are secretly in love with me and just don't want to admit it to yourself."

"Um, no, didn't you hear what I said before, and do you know how stupid that sounds? Plus, I don't date guys that are, like, six or seven years older than me and not to mention evil."

"I think you've got a thing for bad boys."

"Um, no, I don't, and you don't qualify as a "bad boy"."

"Um, missy, I hold the league record for most flagrant fouls. I think that qualifies me as a bad boy, and you do have a thing for bad boys."

"No, I don't."

"Yes, you do."

"Don't."

"Do."

"Don't!"

"Do!"

"DON'T!"

"DO!"

"DON-!"

"Um, I don't mean to interrupt, but I can say something?" asked Adam timidly.

"No, you little rat, can't you see that we're having a conversation here..." Troy started.

"Hey, you don't talk to my brother like that!" I said angrily.

"I can do whatever I want," replied Troy, just as angrily.

"Oh really, you can do whatever you want. I don't think so. You are just your dad's little puppet. The only reason you're a nasty NBL player and person is because of your dad. He's obviously abusive, and if you'd make your own decisions, you'd maybe be a decent person."

"Was that an insult or a compliment or something else?" asked Troy, sounding confused.

"That was neither. I'm saying that you should let us go, turn your dad and yourself in, serve your time, and have a fresh start. Don't be the person your dad wants you to be, be your own person," I said, trying to reason with him.

"You think I'm being the person my dad wants me to be, huh? No, now I think you're saying that I am not able to make my own choices. That's not true, and I suggest you shut up about it unless you want to be slapped again."

"You're not this kind of person. I can see that, and I can see that you also have feelings. You regretted slapping me right as soon as you did it. You're not heartless like your dad, but you're on the road to being heartless. You can change, but I'm not even going to consider liking you until you do change. You'd better go now, unless you have something useful to tell us," I said harshly as I turned my back to Troy.

Finally, I heard the door close behind me.

"He likes you," said Adam.

"I know," I replied.

"Do you like him?"

I remained silent for a few moments before finally replying, "No, absolutely not. Troy's good looking, but he obviously has some issues. I have an idea, though."

"What's your idea?" Adam asked excitedly.

"Well, since we know Troy likes me and that he doesn't want to hurt me, I think we can use that to our advantage. Maybe we can get out of here before Troy goes back to Miami."