Chapter 48

RIKKI

January 1, 2014 9:01 a.m.

I sat in the hospital room staring at the blank white walls. There was only one picture in the room, and it was of a black, dead tree. It was totally creepy if you ask me. At the end of the room opposite of the door, there was a small bed with white sheets. It seemed like everything in the hospital room was sterile white-colored.

I was sitting in a slightly padded chair next to the bed. I was holding the hand of the patient that was laying unconcious in the small white bed. It had been six hours, and Kade still hadn't woken up.

Right after everyone found us by the Soul, the ambulance people took Kade away to the hospital and the police took Kelsi, Adam, and me to the hospital. Kade's parents, my parents, and Bailey and the gang followed behind the police to the hospital. When we reached the hospital, a few doctors checked the three of us out while Kade was tended to. The doctors had to disinfect and bandage Kade up while the rest of us just got some food and an IV for a few hours. The doctors had taken me off of the IV at six o' clock, and I had been sitting by Kade ever since.

My parents were still with Adam, and Kade's parents were with Kelsi, since both of them were still on the IV's due to more severe dehydration. I would've thought that at least one of Kade's parents would be waiting in here with me, but I guess they had thought that we would want to be alone when he woke up.

I was staring at one of the white walls when I felt the hand I was holding squeeze mine.

"Kade, are you awake?" I whispered.

"Mmm, yeah," he groaned.

"Oh, Kade," I cried as a hugged him.

"Ouch," he moaned.

"Oh my gosh, your shoulder! I'm sorry!" I cried.

"Shh, it's okay. It doesn't hurt that much. I'm sure that the doctors have me all drugged up," he joked. "Where is everybody?"

"Well, your parents are with Kelsi because she's still on an IV, my parents are with Adam because he's still on an IV, and Bailey and everybody went home since they weren't allowed to visit us," I clarified.

"Wow," was all Kade said in reply.

"Can you believe that we're actually out of there? That we actually escaped?" I said.

"No, I can't. I truly can't believe it. We're finally out, but I guess all that means is that we don't get to spend as much time together."

"I guess not," I said quietly.

"Well, I guess we may as well use all of the time that we have together," Kade said as he smiled.

"Yeah, all this time together in a hospital room," I said sarcastically.

"Hey, It's better than a dusty old bunkhouse," Kade said with a laugh.

"Okay, point taken," I said with a laugh. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Well, I am a little cold. This thin little sheet isn't doing much."

"Do you need me to ask a nurse for a blanket or something?" I asked.

"Actually, I was thinking of using body heat instead of a blanket," Kade said as he smile coyly.

"You just never stop, do you?" I said as I rolled my eyes. Kade gave me a puppy-dog look and I caved in. "Fine," I said as I crawled into the little hospital bed.

Kade wrapped his good arm around me and smiled as he said, "Much better."

"You're such a dope," I said as I rolled my eyes again.

"Well, the doctors do have me doped up on drugs," he joked.

"Kade, seriously, how are you feeling?"

"I feel pretty good," he replied smoothly.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, well, except my shoulder kinda hurts, but I guess that's to be expected," he laughed.

"Wow, Kade, you manage to joke even when you're lying in a hospital bed," I commented. "I'm just glad that you're alive."

"Yeah, me too. I told you that I wouldn't leave you. I kept my promise."

"Yes, you did, and you have absolutely no idea how glad I am," I said as I kissed him gently.

"That was pathetic. Do you think I'm hurt or something?" Kade said jokingly.

"No, not at all," I said, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Well, are you going to do something or are you going to keep your title as the pathetic kisser?" Kade teased.

Instead of answering, I just put my hand in his hair and pressed my lips to his. After a bit of intense lip-locking, we pulled away and I whispered, "Is this better?"

"Much," he replied as he began to kiss me until I felt like I was going to melt. When he finally pulled away from me, he whispered, "Rikki, I love you so much. You just have no idea."

"Kade, I do have an idea. I love you just as much as you love me. I have one request, though," I said.

"Anything," he replied.

"Will you promise that you'll never leave me for anyone or anything? I know that's a lot to ask, and I know that we haven't know each other for that long, but-"

Kade cut me off and said, "Of course. I'll never leave you, ever. Someone could give me everything in the world and I'd still choose you. I promise that you'll always be my number one, but could I ask you one thing?"

"Anything," I smiled.

"Will you promise that you'll never leave me for anyone or anything?" he asked. 

"Kade, I want to be with you forever, I'll never leave you, ever. I promise that I'll stay by your side as long as you'll stay by mine," I promised as I kissed him one last time.

"Perfect. I'd love to stay awake and talk with you all day, but I'm really tired. Would it be okay if I took a nap?" Kade asked.

"That's fine. I think I'll catch some z's myself," I said with a yawn.

"Love you, Rikki," Kade said as I snuggled closer to him.

"Love you, Kade," I replied.