Chapter 10 - Ethan

I chuckled to myself when she called this place Dracula's bachelor pad. How close she was to being right. I may not be Dracula, but I am related to the guy that the book was based on. It was not a work of fiction. It was loosely based on a relative that was distantly related. And yes, the man had stayed here, in his day. Of course he isn't around here anymore. Too modern for him, a man of the old, he liked the farming villages, the unsuspecting villagers with their pitch forks and flaming torches.

Claude had offered to give my parents and the staff a heads up, a human was being brought to the castle, a cursed human. She was not to be made aware of what we were, or the fact that we were vampiric royalty, that was for me to do. The staff of course would extend her every courtesy they would to any member of my family, for she had been claimed by me, she was mine and there was every possibility that I may not kill her, that I may just keep her permanently. I could hear her heart get faster as we approached the castle, yes, it looked scary. Easy to get lost in too. In the idle conversation that we had as we got closer, I warned her to be careful not to get lost, she would not be in any danger, but it is a big place. Her eyes widened at the thought of it and she joked that maybe I should set up little information kiosks around the place for her, or maybe a mud map. I interrupted her ramblings and suggested that I not leave her side. She blushed a lovely scarlet colour, how I will miss that when she is turned.

So you are going to turn her, son? Yes, mother, I think I will. Am I going to like this girl? I like her, is that not enough? I can hear her slowly breathe out. Mother, be nice to her, she has had a rough couple of days. I am concerned too, son. You know what Stella has said, what she will become, what you are bringing into this house. Yes, and if she turns into it, no man will survive, there is nowhere to hide. I would rather have her close, to know it was happening, to get her to Stella as quickly as possible, rather than having to drive to town to get her, wouldn't you agree? Of course.

Meeting my parents went rather well, she was chatty and enjoyable company. It seemed like the fear of the castle had escaped her mind and she was taken over by the grandeur of the furnishings. My sister flitters into the room, arms full of bags of clothing. Josie just stared at her, her beauty she must have found unnerving. Montana of course took no notice and enthusiastically introduced herself. Humans finding us beautiful is a constant, normal thing to happen. My parents excused themselves, declaring they had dinner reservations in town. The blonde woman that Claude had entertained himself with sauntered by the doors and he was completely gone, taken by her beauty once again. It was like he almost floated out of the room. I could hear her giggling as he chased after her up the stairs. The look on Josie's face was one of confusion. Claude has a girlfriend for every day of the week was my excuse.

Montana wanted to take Josie to her room, but had managed to disappear for a few hours as Josie and I ate dinner alone. I knew that Montana had longed for a sister, but if my parents were to have one now, it would be years before the girl would be old enough for her. Josie was like a readymade sister, old enough to go places with, go shopping or whatever it is that women do when they go places together. It was midnight before Montana let up on her. The poor thing must have been so tired, but in a way it was good. Montana helped Josie relax, I could hear her heart beat a normal rhythm as they chatted. They spent a good half an hour discussing what nail polish colour to put on. Seriously? Montana skirted around the subject of her illness, she knew better than to upset her. She was enjoying herself far too much to reopen the wound. I could smell alcohol; I knew that my sister had her own secret stash in her room. Their giggling got louder the drunker they got. Well, Montana was faking it so that Josie wouldn't be suspicious.

By one am she was asleep and in the midst of another nightmare. I stood outside her door, leaning on it, listening to her whimpers, her heart racing. Montana was by my side in seconds, begging me to help her. Could I be in there with her, alone? I know that I have done it before, but I have always fed before being near her, my last feed was hours ago. I took a deep breath ensuring my self-control and opened the door.