Chapter 31 - Josie

Ethan was right when he said that his parents wouldn't be impressed at us leaving. Of course, they knew the reason why and we would be back to visit, it's not as if they would never see us again. Miranda already knew of our plans, Godfrey passing on the details very quickly to her. I couldn't completely drop off the planet, it would be too obvious. I still had to be on the council, I still had to be seen in the vampiric community. This made Ethan's parents happy, we would return to the castle whenever there was to be a grand council meeting, which surprisingly happened a lot.

We had managed to find a terraced unit right next door to Mary and Dale's place. Ethan thought it was a little too convenient and quizzed me about it. Obviously I had something to do with it, how could I not? I could see Ethan turn his nose up at it, it was a three bedroom, two level terrace unit. This place was small; I think our bedroom at the castle was bigger than the living room.

We had taken our new forms, Oliver and Sophia Gilmore and our daughter Eve, the new neighbours. As soon as we had the keys to the place, I went over and introduced myself, baby as well. Mary delighted in another mother so close by and instantly we were friends. She didn't even think twice about our fake past, never questioning why the both of us were always at home. I was a stay at home mother and 'Oliver', having hurt himself in a work place accident, had received an insurance payout. This of course made perfect sense to her, that was the reason as to why we had expensive furniture. I had told Ethan not to get expensive things, that it would be too much but he didn't listen to me. His reasoning was, that if he had to live in that tiny house, he should at least have things around him that he was used to. I think he missed his club, I knew that Claude had taken over and this worried Ethan, he knew is little brother was a little too aloof when it came to the business.

The years passed quickly, we settled into our routines rather nicely. Stephanie and Evangeline grew up together as the best of friends, always hanging around each other. Ethan was so sick of them trying to climb the fence between the two yards that he ripped a few palings out so they could pass from one yard to the other without hurting themselves. At first I was concerned that Evangeline would blow the cover, but she was better than I could ever expect. It was like she was an old soul; she knew so much before her time. She knew she had two lives, two names, two worlds. She understood that it had to be kept a secret to protect her friend, to protect us. Ethan stressed out when I had said that I was going to tell her everything, after all, how could a five-year-old keep such a big secret?

She sat at the dining room table, picking at her jam sandwich.

'Evie, you know what we are right?'

She nods at me, her long black hair falling off her shoulder.

'You know how to lock secrets in your mind don't you?'

'I do mummy. Special secrets put in special boxes.'

'That's right. Do you know why we do that?'

'Because there are mean people that will steal the secrets.'

'Correct.'

Ethan sits at the table, watching on. He didn't like the thought about talking to her like this but we had to ensure that her mind was locked. This was the only flaw in our perfect plan, a child's mind.

'Do you understand why we sometimes stay here and sometimes at the castle?'

'We go to the castle to see nanny and poppy and uncle Claude and aunty Montana.'

'That is one reason that we go, another is that mummy goes to special meetings with other vampires. It's called a grand council.'

She listens quietly, eating her sandwich.