Chapter 21 - Josie

Montana was the first to come in after Ethan left. She tried to cheer me up, at least I wasn't dying, in fact I could never die. I don't know which is worse, thinking I am going to die or knowing I will never die. Both as bad as each other. She had the maids bring in a late night snack when her mother came to see me. They both sat and chatted, trying to engage me in their conversation, but I didn't feel like chatting. Not allowed to leave this big scary castle, trapped with people that I hardly know, told that there is some vampire on the loose, wanting to make me pregnant, but apparently he is too late because another bloodsucker already beat him to it. And then there is that other bit of peculiar information that they happened to drop on me, the fact that I am a dark being.

'Why don't I want to drink blood?'

Isabelle shrugs at me.

'There is a great deal of things that we do not know about you, you are a new breed of dark being, that is why we are waiting for our visitor.'

'And that person would be?'

'Her name is Miranda; she is the phoenix vampire.'

'A wonderful woman, you will love her.' Montana gushes.

Her mother knowingly nods at her, sipping her tea.

'Josie, the doctor will be here tomorrow to see you.'

I wipe the tears away from my eyes.

'I thought I wasn't supposed to believe the words of human doctors.'

Isabelle smiles at me.

'Not human, darling.'

A maid walks in and takes away the crockery.

'Come Montana, time to leave Josie to rest.'

Montana gets up and hugs me whispering that she can't wait to be an aunty and that everything is going to be ok. Her mother walks over after she leaves and pulls back the bed sheets gesturing for me to get in.

'Bed rest, vampire foetuses are quite a drain.' she smiles at me warmly. 'A grandmother at three hundred, who would have thought.'

'Sorry?' I gasp.

'I know, too young.' she muses with a dreamy gaze. 'I had expected to be at least in the five hundreds before one of my children decided to have children of their own.'

'You are three hundred?'

'Well,' she has a sly smile on her face. 'Three hundred and fifty but you know us women and our ages.' she shrugs with a cheekiness.

She pulls over the sheets, gently tucking me in.

'Sleep well.'

**************

I could hear the clock chiming as it reached midnight, I could not sleep. The sheets were a mess from me tossing from one side to the other, trying to find sleep but tonight I was wide awake. This was far different from the most recent nights where I would find sleep instantly and then dream those awful dreams. But not anymore. My mind sighed with relief, they were so scary I was glad that I wasn't going to have them anymore. I got up from the bed, sick of lying there and staring at the ceiling. Ethan had left me alone, I wasn't sure if I wanted him around or not, I was still angry and hurt for what happened in the hallway. He could have at least pulled me into a room for a little privacy. Maybe he really did fear what the hooded fellow would do, maybe time was imperative. Either way, it still wasn't good. Everyone that was in the hallway would have heard, I dreaded to think what the staff might have heard. The only consolation I had was that the chanting that Stella and Preston were doing was quite loud, hopefully that drowned out the sounds of our heavy panting.

It had been quite a day. I was pregnant, something I thought would never happen. My fingers traced over my stomach as I lifted my bed shirt, standing by the windows. The moon light poured onto my pale skin, the palm of my hand flattening to where my child would be growing. Unbelievable. What was more unbelievable was the fact that I wasn't dying, something that I had wished for but never thought I would actually get. All of those doctors that couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, now I knew why. I was something that they had never seen before, I was different. And as for having cancer, where on earth did they get that prognosis from? Had they mixed me up with someone else? Was there a human out there walking around with a misdiagnosed clean bill of health only to be slowly dying of cancer? I hoped it wasn't the case, that they couldn't figure out what was wrong with me and decided to say it was cancer. Well that is a stupid thought my mind grumbled. It was right, why say someone is dying when you don't really know what is wrong with them. I sighed loudly, grateful that I wasn't dying.

My father was a vampire slayer and I wasn't allowed to see him. Wasn't that a shock. But would I actually want to see him? No, definitely not. He near on disowned me the very second I got together with Andy, my moving to the city and becoming a stripper just set it in stone. I had never really gotten on well with my father, I could never understand why but accepted my life as it was. My mother and I were good, before I had met Andy we would go to the shops and do things together, like most mothers and daughters would. I guess I could understand why they had a great dislike for Andy, things changed dramatically when we started dating. I no longer went to the shops with my mother, too busy batting my eyes at my new boyfriend. Maybe they could see him for what he really was. A liar and a cheat. I was glad to be rid of him. He made me realise how much better Ethan was, how lucky I am to have him. We just had to get past the fiasco of tonight. Feeling a little sleepy I returned to the bed. As I laid down, I touched my stomach again, feeling the soft skin below my fingers. I am pregnant.

'Your creation wasn't a conventional one, kiddo, but at least you are in there.'