Chapter 35 - Josie

Evie slumped into the lounge, folding her arms as she pouted. I watched her with the attitude, her eyes looking to the side, almost ready for one elaborate eye roll.

'How long?'

'A couple of months.'

'And your intentions?'

'Jeez I don't know. It's just a whatever thing at the moment.'

'Do you think that you might be old enough now to lay off the attitude?'

She rolls her eyes at me, turning her head to the other side of the room. I sit on the lounge near her and watch as she struggles to maintain composure.

'Evangeline, what's wrong?'

'Nothing.' she whispered but I pressed on, seeing the tears welling in her eyes.

'Evie.'

Before I knew it she was in my arms, head on my chest sobbing. Through the tears and the sobs, I managed to hear that Stephanie had not contacted her in quite some time. I pulled her off me to look at her blotchy face, her eyes red and puffy.

'How could you know that Alex has been cheating on her if you've not been in contact with her?'

'I tapped into Miranda's mind.'

'Oh.' I whispered as I pulled her in to hug her.

That in itself was a remarkable feat. To tap into the mind of a phoenix was truly a remarkable talent. There were only a few dark beings that could do it and none of them were young like Evie.

'I guess she has been really busy, being a personal assistant is quite a task.'

Evie pulls from the hug and scoffs as she wipes the tears from her cheeks.

'Too busy screwing Alex to remember the person who has protected her for her entire life.'

'She doesn't know that, remember?'

She shrugged as I pulled her long beautiful black hair behind her ears and wiped the tears from under her eyes.

'You can come with us, but I want you to be on your best behaviour, no more attitude and be vigilant, it is very obvious that Gavril will stop at nothing to get to the throne. I don't want to lose you.'

She wraps her thin arms around my neck and hugs me hard.

'Thanks mum.'

The door opened and Ethan walked in, the look on his face was one of shock, his daughter willingly showing affection, this was something he had not seen in years. I smiled at him as he closed the door and wandered over slowly. Evie got up and sauntered out of the room, in a very good mood. Ethan was still shocked.

'What on earth was that about?'

'Stephanie hasn't been in contact with her in quiet some time. I told her she could go to Rostonin if she changed her attitude.'

'Is that wise?'

'She is becoming very powerful, I think Preston and Stella have had quiet an influence on her.'

'Yes.' he frowns. 'And bringing their son for their visits.'

I giggle at him as I pat the lounge beside me.

'Don't worry about it, she is an intelligent person, both of them are. They will be fine.'

Instead of sitting on the lounge beside me, he picks me up and throws me over his shoulder.