Chapter 27 - Josie

The crowd dances to the music, the women in their ballroom gowns, the men in tuxedos. Effortlessly swirling around the dance floor to the music. Ethan's birthday, two hundred years old, wow. I wrap my arms around Ethan's neck, my pot belly making us further apart now but he loves it. The windows and French doors fly open, the curtains flapping in the wind as the lights flicker. The whole room stops, the music, the guests, Ethan and I. We all stand there, silent as the wind bellows through the room, a whistling on it that turns into an almighty howl.

'Something is wrong.' I whisper, feeling very sad.

I look over at Miranda, the panic and the sadness on her face matches mine, she knows something is wrong too. She hurries over to me, tears welling in her eyes.

'We have to go.'

Ethan follows behind me, trying to make sense of it all.

'Where are you going?'

Miranda stops at the entry to my bedroom.

'Ethan, something very, very bad has just happened. The wind was howling, it was crying. The wind never cries.'

She opens the door, pulling me into the robe.

'Change quickly.'

I watch as she flicks through the clothes, finding out something for the both of us to wear. After I dress, I find Ethan talking to his father in the hallway outside my room.

'The driver will take you to where ever you need to go.'

I look at Ethan, who has changed into casual clothing.

'Are you coming with us, leaving your party?'

'Yes, of course.'

I had no clue where we were going, Miranda was directing the driver, her head out the window, she looked as if she was listening to the wind. It was a full ten minutes before we found what we were looking for, a tiny dirt road, a car still with its headlights on, its occupants had stakes driven through them. I gasped as I looked at them, Miranda in tears as she looked at them.

'Lucian.' she whimpers.

'Miranda...' I hear a groan from within the car.

She scurries around to the other side, pulling the woman from the car. Ethan and I follow her, watching on as the woman struggles to stay alive.

'Oh Nicoleta, who did this?' she sobs.

'Clinton, he's taken her, Alina...' she whispers. 'My baby, find her, save her.'

'We will.' She looks up at me. 'Channel your wolf Josie, sniff her out.' she holds up a baby rug.

I take the rug from her, smelling the scent of the child, I instantly find her on the wind. My body begins to tingle; I can feel the werewolf taking form.

'I have her, I will find her.'

'Thank you.' she whispers as her body finally gives out.

'How the fuck is Clinton still alive and manages to kill the king and the queen and kidnap the princess?' Ethan yells as he stands.

Miranda wipes the tears from her eyes as she gently lays the woman onto the ground.

'Ethan, go back to your castle, find your father and tell him in secret, do not let anyone else know of this until we have found Alina.' she turns to me. 'Go now, find her, when you do, keep her safe and kill whoever has her.'

I nod, Ethan kisses me on the cheek.

'Be safe, find our princess.'

Turning to the road, picking up the scent again, I take off, grateful for wearing running shoes. I didn't know I could run this fast, the scenery around me a blur.