Chapter 37 - Josie

I land on the dresser, watching as Stephanie walks through the room, the queen in her bird form lands on her shoulder as she walks to the window. Alex the idiot was on the other side of the window, out in the freezing cold, in his cat form. Stephanie opens the window to let him in. She didn't see it, a blackness crept into the room that quickly moved to the shadows. As he stepped out from the shadows, he flicked the cat out the window. Well you were a great help. The shadow gripped Stephanie around the neck, the bird was sent flying off her shoulder, landing on the mantle. The shadow takes on Gavril's form.

'Lord Eliade.'

'Alina my dear, how good it is to see you again.'

'My name is Stephanie.'

He throws her onto the bed with a sinister chuckle.

'Sadly, it won't be for too long. Time for you to join your parents in hell where I sent them.'

We have the proof. The queen whispers to me. I will go and get Alexandru, keep him away from her.

She takes the form of a bug and flies off. I return my attention to Gavril and Steph, to my shock he has a stake in his hands, readying to drive it into her.

He was shocked when a tiger appeared out of nowhere, namely me. I pounced on him, pushing him out the window. Somewhere in the snow he disappeared, it wasn't until he dragged Stephanie out of the building and thumped her into the snow that I found him. I waited behind her, as he moved to her, I snarled, the tiger ready to take him down. Stephanie turned around and looked at me, fearing the beast with its fangs barred.

'Oh shit.' she meekly speaks.

I pounce onto Gavril behind her, taking him down, biting into him. He struggles with me, just as Alexandru and his assistant arrive at the window, he throws me off, pounding me into the snow. I try to raise my head, weaker than before. Alexandru struggles with Gavril as Penny rushes to me. In the distance I see Stephanie struggling to reach the forest that abuts the property, following the little turquoise bird that is the queen.

'Is she going to be ok?'

'Yes.' Penny whispers.

She helps me to my feet as I take the form of the tiger again, prowling around the edges until Stephanie was out of sight. Evie appeared out of nowhere and shot a death curse at him, sending him to the ground. In the final death throes, what we thought was Gavril, changed form into an unknown shape shifter.

'Shit.' Alexandru snaps.

The man that was dead at our feet was an unknown, Steph was out in the woods with the queen, still in harm's way.

'We must move quickly.'

We waited at a little house, Evie had taken the form of one of Alexandru's housekeeper, a woman named Ingrid. I had taken the form of one of the king's guard, Gerald. We were waiting at this house, with a wedding dress for Steph, dresses for Mary and Althea. Alexandru had found his son, passed out in the thick snow and were going to meet us at the church. Ethan had gone with them, to keep an eye out for Gavril, we knew he would try again, it was now just a matter of when.

It was about two minutes after we had arrived at this little house that the queen and Stephanie had turned up. Mary and Althea quickly took her into a room where Evie was waiting to help them dress. I know that she desperately wanted to take her normal form and tell her best friend that she was there for her, but she knew the graveness of the situation, Stephanie's life was in serious danger. It was a short drive to the church, I could smell Gavril on the wind, but it was very feint. This was hopefully enough to fool him, he would expect us to go to the biggest most elaborate church the town had but Miranda and Terrance had a different idea. There was one little church, that was run by a vampire priest, it was old, it was beautiful and it was an unexpected choice for a royal wedding.