Chapter 15 - Josie

Company was expected for dinner, in the form of Claude's girlfriend for the day, Stella. Montana bustled around my room, helping me decide on a dress for dinner. She picks out a soft floaty black dress, a red glossy belt sits high on my waist, matching killer heels. I saw them in the store and instantly I fell in love with them. Montana saw my eyes light up and dragged me in to buy them. She leaves me momentarily to get ready. I hear the door open again, closing quietly as I brush my hair.

'You were quick.'

'That's a rather poor assessment of my efforts, I thought you enjoyed it.'

I spin around, startled by the voice, not Montana but Ethan's voice.

'I thought you were Montana.'

Ethan raises his eyebrows in recognition of the statement. He takes the brush from my hand, taking over the mammoth task of brushing my long hair. It feels nice to have someone do it for me, his fingers running through the ends. He pulls it over one shoulder as he kisses my neck, his hands slinking around my waist. I can feel his teeth skim over the skin of my neck. It brings back flashes of earlier this morning, the shower and how I thought that he bit me, but there were no marks. I questioned him and he looked at me like I was crazy. I was tired, I had just had a terrible nightmare, I was imagining things.

I hear the door open again and Montana berating her brother about slobbering all over my neck. Not that I minded, I was enjoying it. She looked gorgeous in a tight purple dress, her hair floating around her shoulders, her fair skin paler than Ethan's. She looked more like her father and Claude, the beautiful blue eyes and soft wavy brown hair. Ethan looked like his mother, jet black hair and emerald green eyes and more pale skin. I don't think this family has spent any time in the sun.

Stella arrived shortly after and she had a man with her, her brother apparently, although I was a little dubious. He stood too close to her, he looked at her like a lover would. They stood in the entry way as I walked down the stairs, she introduced her brother, Preston. He was a lovely fellow, very well mannered, well spoken. Stella's eyes stood out like crazy, I couldn't get over her eyes. I had never seen such colour in anyone. Even Preston's eyes were a little odd. They were almost like a lilac colour, strains of grey around the pupil. I wanted to get in close and look at both of their eye colours but that would be rather peculiar behaviour. Preston looked nothing like Stella, maybe they had different mothers or fathers, maybe they were only half siblings. I looked at him, his brown hair was nothing like her blonde hair. She was curly he was straight. He was tall and lanky, she was short and full figured. The only thing similar was the style of dress. Preston was in a stylish black suit with a very dark blue shirt underneath, Stella was in a long black dress. They were both very well dressed.

We were called for dinner within minutes of me entering the formal lounge. I liked this place, as much as the outside was very creepy, the inside had an old world charm about it. Everything was dark oak panels, antique furniture on highly polished floors. The fireplaces were always going now that winter was slowly sneaking upon us. Servants were always around doing things for the family. A maid opened the curtains for me this morning, which wasn't very nice with a hangover but I said nothing. Of course, she said nothing about Ethan being in my bed for which I was grateful even if it was none of her business. It was just lucky she didn't walk in on us in the middle of something delicious. Then I would definitely be ungrateful for the curtain opening service. The staff seemed to fuss over me more than the rest of the family, I figure it's because they've been told that I have cancer and that they are trying to make life as nice as possible. I had been reluctant to come here in the beginning but I am glad that Ethan asked again, I like having company.

One of the maids stands at the doorway announcing that dinner is ready. Everyone follows her through the corridor to the formal dining room. It was one of the grander rooms, one very long table spanned the length of the room. The table had been set with severe accuracy, the cutlery gleamed in the light, the crystal sparkled. I began to feel tired as I entered the dining room. Feeling the room spin, I tried to hold the edge of the chair frame, trying to settle my head. Ethan was by my side, helping me into the chair, seconds later there was darkness.