Chapter 16 - Ethan

'Josie?'

I grip her jaw, gently shaking it. Her eyes were barely closed but I knew she was unconscious.

'Ok. She's out.'

'Good, to the lounge.' Stella says departing the dining room.

I lay her onto the chaise lounge as Montana, my mother and Stella remove her clothes, wrapping her in the white muslin cloth that Stella brought with her. My father, Claude and Preston waiting in the entry to give privacy, even though she was in a deep sleep. She was now ready for Preston to figure out what is going on with her.

'Ok, they can come in now.'

Montana rushes to open the door as Stella and I gently roll Josie onto her stomach. Preston and Stella look at the mark, Stella looks through her book again.

'You know a marking like this can mean only one thing.'

'Which is?' I question him.

'She has been given a duty by Godfrey, she is different to any other being in this realm.'

'Is she a dark being?'

'It is highly likely; I have never known Godfrey to give marks to humans.'

Stella continues to flick through the book.

'That's it.' Preston says.

'It is?' Stella gasps.

He nods as he opens his bag and pulls out a little box. Two vials sit inside the box, each of them containing what looks like blood. One little drop from each of the vials goes onto a quarter of the circle. Then he takes a pocket knife and cuts his wrist, a tiny little wound that lets a few drops of blood fall onto another quarter. As he cleans the knife he gestures for me to come over.

'A drop of blood thanks.'

I pierce my skin with my nail, letting out a skerrick of blood onto her skin, as soon as it hits the last quarter, her skin lights up in flames.

'Just as I thought.' he mutters under his breath.

'Which would be?' my concern growing by the second.

'Josie would be a new breed of dark being. She contains a piece of every dark being, vampire, witch, werewolf, shape shifter.'

'What do you mean?' my father says even more concerned.

'When Godfrey created the phoenix vampire she was meant to be a representation of all of us, but he made her a vampire which upset some of the other dark beings. Not me though.' he mutters as he gets a cloth and puts out the little fire that burns on her back. 'So, Josie is all of us, not just one group, she embodies every perfect and usable attribute about each of the groups. She is like the phoenix only she is designed to appease all groups.'

'So she is another version of Miranda?'

'Yes, and like Miranda, there is only one way to kill her. There is no stake that will harm her, no potions or spells. Just removing her heart.'

'Do you think Miranda will know of her?'

'Without a doubt.'

'Should we contact her?'

He must see the concern on all of our faces, the council of dark beings will want to know of her.

'We should. She knows of her, that is why we know of her.' Preston gestures to the open book. 'But Miranda will not know where she is. Godfrey is renowned for keeping information until ultimately necessary.'