Chapter 32 - Ethan

Josie held her finger to her lips as Mary gasped at her, telling her to be very quiet. Mary frowned and in a split second, Josie's hand sprawled out in the air, casting a spell. There was no other way, she had to be in her witch form to cast a spell, she couldn't do it from her shifter form, nor invisible which was a vampiric ability. But Mary and Dale sat there, frozen in their chairs. Josie looked at me, next was the task that we knew would be difficult, getting them out without being seen. It wasn't a hard task, pick them up, disappear, seemingly easy enough. The only issue was that Gavril was out the front of the house. He would see a door open with no one opening and closing it, he would know what the deal was. So it would have to be through the back door and over the back fence. That was the hard part. There was no gate, we would have to go over the fence, to the alley behind our properties.

We stood at the brick wall that is as tall as Josie, I knew this would be difficult for her. I was all set to go through the routine of putting them on the ground, passing them one by one and struggling to maintain their invisibility.

Ok, pass him over. What? I could feel her take Dale from my arms and the wind rushing past me. Come on. I jumped the fence, finding Josie on the other side, she passed Dale back to me. I could hear her sniffing the wind. He's on the move, time to go. It was a shock when I could feel myself being lifted, the wind rushing past me, the alley becoming a blur. Josie must have used a spell on the three of us, I couldn't feel the warmth of her body, nor Mary or Dale. When she finally let me down, we were in the centre of a town, I could hear her sniffing the air as the people passed us. I quietly stepped back, hoping not to draw attention to myself, this invisible thing that the humans could easily run into.

Ok, let's go. I can feel her take my hand, leading me through the streets, eventually coming across a shopping centre car park. She finds a van, the lock no match for her strength. I get into the back with Mary and Dale, remaining hidden as she moves around to the driver's seat, taking a new form as she climbs in.

The van climbs the mountain road, slowly making its way around the bends. I watch as she continually sniffs the wind that enters through the window, ever cautious about Gavril. We were getting closer to our town; it wouldn't be too long before we would be safe. The moon rose in the sky, the beauty of the silvery white ball was amazing, but I knew the dangers of it too, it was a full moon. She had control of her wolf, unlike a full werewolf, she could turn it on and off as she pleased but it didn't mean that she wouldn't want to take her werewolf form. I knew she liked her inner wolf. I liked her inner wolf, it made her an insatiable lover and every full moon, Evie was sent to my parents for a sleep over. Don't want her listening to that. Josie sniffed the wind again, a low growl crept from the depths of her body.

'We're not alone.' she growled.

I began to panic, knowing that it wasn't good news. I could see the hairs appearing, she was letting the wolf take hold, it was what would be her best formation if she had to take on any of the dark beings. The werewolf was the strongest in battle, but Josie was not one to be messed with, the witch in her could cast a myriad of spells, the shifter could be your worst nightmare and the vampire could drain you in a second. Josie had held Preston, Finn and Phabel to their word as her trainers, ensuring that if she needed to protect the princess she would be ready for whatever was thrown at her.

The van screeched to the side of the street, she ripped the door from its hinges as the wolf had taken total hold of her. I could hear her outside the van, it sounded like two dogs fighting as she took on whatever it was that had been stalking us. It sounded like she whimpered, a sickening thud sound made the hair on my neck stand on end. The sliding door of the van was ripped open, in front of me was nothing except the land, the moon casting a shine over it. I couldn't even see Josie, there was no wolf on the ground, there was nothing. Out of nowhere Josie appeared on the other side of the road, a luminous pink colour sprayed out over the wind that bellowed around the road, hitting something at the van's edge. It was Gavril that was in front of the van, when the spell hit him he howled, crumpling to the ground. The wind kicked up around him, lightening hit the ground, it arced around him as the ground rumbled. The van shook with the intensity, I could feel Mary and Dale stirring under my hands. All of Josie's power would be directed to fighting Gavril, no longer was the spell being cast over them. They woke to the sight of Josie in her normal form, her hands together as it formed a swirling silvery blue ball. I could hear Mary beginning to say something.

'Stay quiet.' I whisper to her.

She gasps, clearly having not realised that they were both still invisible.

Josie shot the swirling ball out at Gavril, hitting him with such force that it threw him across the street. The ground rumbled heavier than before, it was like we were in an earthquake, the ground shook, the street lights exploded, leaving us in darkness, the moon was our only light now. A car screeched around the corner, stopping a short distance from Gavril. He scrambled to his feet and began to run towards it. Instantly Josie turned into a wolf and chased him, biting him on the leg. Again he howled, limping into the car that sped away as soon as he shut the door. I sighed as she walked back to the van, I let go of Mary and Dale, letting them reappear.

'Who are you?' Dale looks at me.

Josie appears at the van door, Mary frowns at her.

'I know you... from where?'

She smiles at her as she watches her struggle to remember.

'That day, in the park, you're her.... Josie.'

'You have a very good memory Mary.'

Josie picks up the door and tries to put it back on the van. She huffs with dismay, dumping it back onto the street.

'You haven't aged a day.' she frowns again. 'Why are you here? What's going on? Is it something to do with.'

'Stop.' I say. 'Not here, we will explain everything in due time.'