Chapter 25 - Josie

The maid sets down an array of sweets and the tea pot, pouring out a tea for myself and this woman in front of me. Her name is Miranda and apparently she is much like me. A phoenix. Although, I am a new and improved version according to her. She is only a vampire at the moment and if all turns out well with me, balancing the four groups with ease, she will have the changes made to become what I am. I was speechless when she told me she was as old as the earth and that I had been created quite some time ago, that our maker hadn't known why he made me, he just did. That made no sense to me whatsoever. I had a purpose, we were yet to learn of this purpose because not even our maker knew it. Again, made no sense whatsoever. So here I was, the past where I had no siblings was gone, in this woman in front of me, I had a sister. A sister that was millions of years old, or something ridiculous like that. I had to say, if I looked this good in a million years, I'd be pretty happy. Not sure if I'd be sane though. She giggled behind her tea cup which I frowned at her.

'Sorry.' she pouted with a grin 'It's just you're talking in your mind, it's so damned loud.'

'You can hear me?'

'Loud and clear.'

'Shit. Can everyone hear me like that?'

'Yeah, although most people tend to block it out, otherwise it gets a bit deafening.'

'Thank the stars I wasn't being nasty.' I rolled my eyes.

'You will learn to keep your thoughts locked with time. I like the ol' brick wall myself.'

I nodded, taking a sip of the tea. It did nothing to quell my rising anxiety.

'With time you will learn many things, this is all very new for you. I have had a very long time to become the phoenix that I am. Age is your greatest advantage, power and strength will increase with each and every year of your life. You will not die unless someone removes your heart. Learn and become wise, be rewarded with the riches of life and love. Learn from the mistakes of those that have fallen before you. Take advice and give it freely, give to those who need you. Be the mother to your kin, love those who need it. I do not know what your future holds Josie but I do know you will need to be prepared. Whatever it is, it's important.'

The doors open and Preston and Stella walk in closing the doors behind them.

'Now, Preston and Stella are going to teach you how to cast some spells. Maybe start with some that will aide her if she's fighting someone.'

'Of course.' Preston grins.

'If you will excuse me, I am waiting for a shifter to arrive to teach you about shifting.'

Miranda walks out of the room like she is floating. She has such grace and elegance; she is pure beauty. Stella and Preston pushed the table out of the way, creating a little space to work in.

'Right my dear, let's start with a bleeding orifice shall we?'

'Oh dear lord.' I groan 'Really, who named these spells?'

'Not me.' he said dryly. 'I thought exploding holes might have been more appropriate.'

He grinned as I raised an eyebrow at him. At the doors there was the sound of people talking, Preston watched the door with a frown, his eyes squinting. The doors swung open and a tall man walked in, full military suit with a green sash strung over his chest. Medals chinked against each other as he moved closer.

'Afternoon all.'

Preston and Stella instantly bow and curtsy the man.

'Your highness, we weren't expecting you. Your father said he would send a learned man.'

'Am I not a learned man Preston?'

'My apologies, that wasn't what I meant.'

'Chill out Preston.' he slapped him on the shoulder 'You stress too much. You'll end up having a heart attack.'

'Of course, your highness. Uh, may I introduce Josephine to you. Josie this is his royal highness prince Finn Stiofán, son of the ruler of the werewolves and their realm, Askara'velmanti.'

I stare up at the man, the cheeky grin and stunning blue eyes, his blonde hair flicked back of his face, neatly styled to perfection.

'Hey.' I nodded at him.

He laughed as he sat on the lounge opposite me.

'I guess you either haven't been taught or don't care, huh?'

'I think you might find that as phoenix she outranks you in the grand scheme of things.' Stella says with a sly grin.

'Oh how true. Maybe I should bow to you, my lady?'

'Completely unnecessary.'

The doors flung open and another over dressed man walked in, looking rather shocked. Chocolate brown strands of hair draped into his blue eyes, the skin a luminous olive colouring. He too wore a full military suit with medals and a deep blue sash. Yet again Preston and Stella bowed and curtsied.

'Your highness, your father sent you too?'

'Yes.' he grumbled as he looked at Finn.

'Of course.' Preston grins at Stella. 'Josephine, may I introduce you to his royal highness prince Phabel Deltrith son of the ruler of the shape shifters.'

'No realm of your own, your highness?' I said just a little too cheekily.

His head raised slightly as did an eyebrow. Finn chuckled as he rubbed his jaw, the whole scene rather comical to him.

'Not as yet, our maker is preparing one for us.'

I nodded, amused by his reaction.

'May I ask why your fathers sent you rather than someone else? I'm sure even a child from your people could have taught me and not wasted your time.'

Preston stifled the smirk. We could all see what was laying underneath the surface here. Their fathers had sent them to check me out, to maybe even court me. What better queen to sit on the throne than a phoenix? Loud and clear, boys.

'Well my father wanted to ensure the best teacher was available to you." Finn said smugly. "And what about you Phabey?'

Phabel squinted at Finn, clearly there was some minor level of animosity here.

'Only the best for our new phoenix.'

'Well that's good to hear because soon there will be another phoenix to teach and I'm sure I can count on you both returning to teach her.'

They both frowned.

'We weren't told of two phoenixes.' Finn said.

'Oh, she's not here yet, give her a few months.' I rubbed the swell of my belly 'Once she is ready I expect that you will be just as eager to return, am I right boys?'

They both stared at my little belly, realising that not only was I pregnant and therefore no longer available to either of them but that someone had beaten them to me. I saw Finn catch the glint of the diamond ring on my finger.

'Yes of course, my lady.' Phabel bowed with a grin, obviously happy to beat Finn to the agreement 'Nothing would give me greater pleasure.'

Finn rolled his eyes at Phabel.

'As would I, my lady. Always at your service. For anything.' he grinned with one last sly attempt at catching my attention.

Not. A. Chance.