Chapter 13 - Josie

Montana offers to take me into town for my doctor's appointment. She is quite an excitable person, constantly chatting. I wondered how she was able to drive so well after the heavy drinking session we had last night. My head was throbbing. It was a welcome change to think about my hangover rather than my cancer. The appointment with the cancer clinic was brief, just a quick rundown of my future. The doctor told me of what is going to happen, when I should come in next and then gave me some more information to read before the next appointment. Montana seemed a little relieved that it was short, she was itching to get to the shops. I didn't particularly want to go shopping, I wasn't in the mood for it and of course, I had no money. But that meant nothing to her, it was her treat. She dragged my hand into a cocktail bar for a morning eye opener. I balked at the thought of drinking in the morning, but she said that I needed cheering up. Again she chatted, this girl can talk, it is like she hasn't had any one to talk to for years.

Montana had her arm linked in mine as we walked down the street. I couldn't get over how quickly I had been accepted as part of their family. It was instantaneous. I had to say that it felt nice, after being disowned by my parents and what Andy did, I was beginning to feel lost in the world. Montana talked and talked, I swear she could talk underwater with a mouth full of marbles. She stopped at the shop front of a formal wear store, looking at it with one huge grin. In the window was the prettiest pink dress I had ever seen. Montana pulled at my hand dragging me into the store. It turns out that Ethan's birthday was coming up and Montana thought that I needed a pretty dress for the occasion. The bell above the door dinged as we entered into the tiny shop. It was crammed from one side to the other with racks of dresses. One smarmy woman sauntered over to us, helping Montana search through the tall racks of glittering pieces of puff.

'Oh my god, we should have a big party.'

She pulls out her phone, flicking at the buttons. A few minutes later it beeps and she squeals with delight as she reads it. Several women in the store turn and look at her. Apparently the birthday party idea was approved by all. She dragged me to the pink dress at the window, the woman was pulling it off the mannequin for her.

'Oh my god.' she giggles. 'It's the same colour as the tips of your hair.'

I turn and look at the pink dress that Montana holds up for me to look at.

'Wow.' I say in astonishment. 'That is just gorgeous.'

'Go try it on.'

The shop assistant helps me into the dress and pulls back the curtain waiting for me to step out of the cubicle, to look in the mirror. Tentatively I stepped out of the dressing room wearing the most stunning dress I had ever seen. It made me feel like a princess.

'Oh, Josie you look gorgeous.' Montana stares at me in the mirror.

The dress is more than stunning; I am left speechless. A soft satin floor length dress, sweet heart neckline and a tight bodice that gathers to the centre with little glass beads and diamante stones scattered over it. She flicks my hair around, trying to decide what hairstyle would look good.

'What do you think?'

'I think my hair will have fallen out by the time his birthday rolls around.'

She moves to face me, looking sad.

'Just so you know, if that's the case, I'm not going.'

She wraps her arms around me, hugging me without saying anything.

We spent the entire day in town, shopping for so many things that there wasn't a single space to be found in her boot or the back seat of the car. And of course she bought the pink dress for me, plus all necessary accessories. I felt a shiver run up my spine as I stood beside her car, preparing to leave. The air stood still, the wind dropped instantly. The birds stopped chirping and everything fell silent.

'Hello Montana.'

The voice, male, deep and dark. She griped my upper arm tight, my back to this person. I could feel the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. This wasn't right, there was something very dark and sinister about it all. It didn't help that Montana was gripping me with one very strong hand.

'Stay still.' she whispered.

He chuckled, it sounded a little creepy. 'Who is your friend?'

'None of your business.'

'You never called.'

'I told you I wasn't interested.'

'Aww, now come on darlin' how could you not be?'

I could feel his hand sliding over my shoulder, colder than the day itself, through the material of my shirt it felt like ice. My body gave out one very large involuntary shudder. It snaked its way up my spine, this was the most freaked out I had ever felt.

'You aren't batting for the other team now are you?'

He squeezes my shoulder; I can hear him sniffing. My heart beats so hard it feels like it is going to burst through my skin.

'No, my mistake, Ethan. How cute.' he chuckles again, a little darker than before.

'Clinton.' another voice hisses.

'Until next time Montana.'

His hand slips away from my shoulder, I didn't realise it, by Montana's grip on my arm was so tight it felt like her nails were digging into my flesh.

'What the hell was that?'

'A drunken mistake coming back to bite me on the arse.'

'His hand was like ice.'

'Poor circulation.' she mutters opening the door for me to get in.

I watch her as she gets into the car, she is shaken.

'Why did I have to stay still, why do I have your fingernail marks on the underside of my arm?'

'Long story, you wouldn't understand. Sorry about your arm, sometimes I forget my own strength.'

I wanted to press her more about the incident, but her demeanour told me no, let it go. She was still shaken, on edge, she didn't want to talk about it.