◌ Thirty One ◌

"Are you kidding me right now?" Frank yelled, furious.

"We need to watch him for the day?" Ryan yelled.

"Yeah I'm sorry guys." Billie Joe apologized.

"How long is your date?" Andy asked.

"Until 10:45 A.M.  I would have liked for it to go longer but I have to be back in time at 11:00 A.M so you can start your next challenge. But as part of today's challenge you need to babysit him for me." Billie Joe said.

"Babysit? I almost killed a kid I babysat for once!" Ryan said, nervous. "And what do you mean part of the challenge? How could there be more? Isn't this bad enough? Does that have anything to do with the challenge or are you just dumping him on us because you can and you don't want him?"

"It does. Believe me."

"What's the challenge about?"

"I'll give you one hint: babies." Billie Joe said and once again, he was off.

It was silent for a brief moment before Pete spoke up. "Okay he's gotta stop doing that. Running off before we finish our conversation."

"It's getting old." Brendon chimed in.

"So are you." Bob said to Brendon. Bob walked over to him and started stroking his hair. "Look at those grays."

"Don't touch my husband. He has zero grays as a matter of fact." Ryan said.

Brendon looked down at the ground feeling guilty as ever. Ryan had just stood up for him and he couldn't bear to look him in the eyes.

"Woah woah calm down, no need to get defensive. He's not... my type. At all. How long have you been married."

"A few months." Ryan answered, trying to catch Brendon's eyes.

"Ooooh a fresh marriage. You got that new-marriage-smell. The easiest time to split up..."

Brendon stormed out of the room.

"Look what you did you frickin... Ah now I have to go find him!" Ryan said before chasing after Brendon. "Brendon!" he called as he ran up the stairs.

Ryan arrived at Brendon door and knocked hesitantly. "B-Bren? You there?"

"Yes. You can come in."

"It's locked."

Less than half a second later Brendon was at the door, unlocking it from inside. He closed the door behind Ryan and and at down on his bed looking sad. Neither of them spoke.

"Brendon I... I'm sorry about what he said. I'm surprised that really hurt your feelings. Bob was just talking trash, he doesn't even know you. Or me."

"You don't even know me." Brendon muttered. What Bob said affecting him in ways Ryan didn't understand. It was almost as if Bob knew about what was going on between him and Dallon.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Listen Brendon, you've been acting differently lately. Usually when someone talks crap about you- not that there's anything bad to say about you- you're always one to shake it off and ignore it. Especially a stranger. Remember that one time that guy at that music festival we went to said that mean thing about you? And it upset me more than you?"

Ryan smiled remembering that music festival. That was two summers ago. It was the night Ryan realized Brendon was the only man he would ever want to be with. Five months later Brendon proposed.

"Yeah." Brendon grunted.

"See? You're in a bad mood. Right now." Ryan said.

"I'm fine just... I'm just sad that our honeymoon turned out like this."