◌ Forty Two ◌

Inside the metal box sat three giant bowls of pasta. Next to the pasta bowls was an even larger bowl of salad and then some meatballs in sauce and a little thing of grated cheese.

An Italian feast!

Brendon felt bad for being so annoyed with Billie Joe before. Dallon noticed a small note near the grated cheese. It read, "Sorry for fooling you! I'd never trick you guys like that! Eat up and prepare for tomorrow, your last challenge day. Bon Appetite!"

"Wait isn't it Bon Appetit? Without an e at the end?" Frank asked.

"Um, yeah... Last time I checked it was appetit." Ryan said.

There was some awkward silence.

"...well that's embarrassing for Billie Joe." Joe said quietly.

"Who cares, he gave us food!" Bob screamed, causing an eruption of cheering

"Bone apple tit." Frank exclaimed.

The group hurried inside and sat down at the table. They patiently waited for Frank to sit down before they ate their meal. Dallon insisted they wait for Frank because it's what proper Italians do before a big meal. Meanwhile, Frank was hauling the cardboard box that was used to hold the pasta upstairs. He said he wanted an upgrade for his small cardboard-box-house back in Gerard's basement.

When Frank arrived they passed the bowls of pasta around (lasagna, fettuccine alfredo, and classic spaghetti with red sauce.) Nobody really wanted the salad but some of them had it anyway as an attempt to try and be healthy. Andy, the vegan princess of the group ate a lot of salad, claiming he actually enjoyed it. He seemed very hungry afterwards.

After the feast they cleared their bowls and did their best to rinse them and load the dishwasher. Gerard happened to notice his brother seemed sad. Mikey barely said a word during the meal. He stared at the floor and his legs looked shaky. 

"Mikey Way why you no smile?" Gerard asked, teasing his brother.

When Mikey looked even more sad Gerard got serious. "Aww what's wrong? Brother, I have the chance to pick you up so I will. What's the matter?"

"I just miss Helena so much." Mikey choked out, his throat burning from the tears that might come.

"We all do Mikey. You had a special connection with that baby. She really loved you. You'll be a great dad someday."

"Thanks. I hope so. I just wish she was here with us."

"Don't forget Billie Joe said we would get to see her when we're done on this island."

"But... but what if we never make it off. What if we lose the last challenge and we have to get off the island without Billie Joe's help. We could never do it Gerard, nobody here could build a boat and find land. We'd all starve."

"Don't think like that! That's not a good way to think!" Gerard said. "Billie Joe wasn't clear on how we could fail the challenge. Like for the cooking challenge we had to get above a 75% or something like that. Or maybe it was 80%. It seemed to change a lot. And for the Raise a Baby Challenge we needed to make sure Helena didn't get hurt. He didn't tell us how we could fail this one. I think it's a freebie."

"I sure hope so." Mikey said, still feeling sad.

~~~~~~~
Later
~~~~~~~

It started to rain once again. The rain was coming down in sheets. The rain beat down hard against the roof and shook the house. The wind was even louder than the rain. It whistled through the forest outside. It screeched against the window screens. It blew debris across the sand. The palm trees swayed as if they might come toppling down any minute.