◌ Forty Nine ◌

Epilogue
Three months later

"It was just... That constant nagging fear..." Ryan murmured. "It kept us up at night."

"That you would run out of food?" The woman asked, scribbling something down into a leather notebook.

She tucked a piece of red hair behind her ear and adjusted herself in her seat. She took her glasses off and had a sip of water.

"Yes." Gerard said, rolling over onto his stomach on his chaise lounge. "We were so desperate for food we even sent Dallon up in a palm tree to get us coconuts once."

"I see." The woman said, scribbling more notes into her notepad. "Dallon, how did that make you feel?"

Dallon squeezed his eyes shut harder and stared at the back of his eyelids. He tried to picture himself on the island. It had been barely twelve weeks ago and yet he struggled to remember the scenery. "I was terrified. And a little hurt, too. They chose me of all people to go up there. Just because I was tall. I fell and almost risked my life."

Frank's eyes snapped open and he sat up in his chair. "Hayley! It's not true! He offered to go up there! He wanted to!"

"Frank, lay back down. Close your eyes. Remember what I told you all about calming your body and mind to better access your memories?"

Frank scowled and laid down again in his chair.

"Group therapy with twelve people is difficult. I need everyone to cooperate and do as I say." Hayley said as she drew a star next to Frank's name at the top of her notebook.

"Just relax. This is low-key, no pressure."

It was quiet for a moment. The room was filled with quiet, peaceful binaural beats. Until Bob spoke up.

"It was scary when Billie brought me to the island. I was alone with seven strangers and four people who hated me."

"But we got used to you eventually." Gerard said, fluffing his pillow. Gerard often used the therapy sessions as naptime. He sometimes fell asleep but claimed he was still healing anyway. Hayley didn't mind as long as he was seeing improvement.

"It's now five o'clock. Our session is coming to an end. I'd like all of us to slowly open our eyes and sit up in our seats when we are ready. As you rise, listen to the theta waves. They are healing your mind and soul. Now picture your concerns and bring them up to the surface and out of your body. Now visualize them in the form of-"

Her voice was interrupted by a soft melody.

"Shoot! My phone's ringing! One minute please. Continue to open your eyes and sit comfortably."

She moved to the corner of the room.

"Hello? Yes, I'm finishing up my last session of the day. Yes, I know it's my night to have her. I told you, I'd be half an hour late to get her. Okay. Good to know. See you soon."

"I have to go pick up my daughter. How's everyone doing?"

She looked around the room. Everyone was sitting up on their chaise lounges looking calm and relaxed. Perfect. Another successful session. Well... almost perfect.

"Um... Frank. Can you wake up Gerard for me?" Hayley asked.

Just then, someone barged in through the door carrying a little girl and looking sweaty and disheveled.

"Oh hi, Billie! I thought you wanted me to pick her up at your place?"

"I know but I ran out of time. I have another hot date tonight." He whispered, covering the little girl's ears. He handed her off to Hayley and kissed her on the head.