Chapter 8

Hiccup flopped onto the bed, tears streaming freely now. He wasn't sure why in the world he had done that, it's not like it was anything new from Snotlout. In fact, Snotlout was being mild. Hiccup had no reason to react like that, he knew it was too much, but he just couldn't stand Snotlout criticizing him again.

Normally in situations like this, he would go for a fly on Toothless, but... yea.

He turned over from the soaked pillow to face the wall as a crack of light shot across the floor, and the door creaked with someone's arrival. 

"Hiccup?" Ugh. Astrid. He didn't have the energy to deal with her, or anyone else at that moment. "We need to talk."

"Dang it." He heard a sigh from around the corner.

"Hiccup, I understand you're upset, but that was really unnecessary.." The voice came closer to him.

He didn't respond.

"Hiccup, you need to pull yourself together! I apologize if I'm being too honest and whatnot, but you've been so self obsessed! You just sit around all day and do nothing, mourning over your stupid lost dragon. How about actually doing something about it instead of moping around all day?"

"Astrid, do you realize how hard this is for me?!" He sat up, facing her with his brows furrowed and tear stains streaking across his face. "I've lost my dragon and everyone's trust all in one week!"

"You wouldn't have lost their trust if you weren't so stupid! Why the hell did you even have to hit Snotlout in the first place?!"

"This is not about Snotlout!" Hiccup had risen from the bed and was now half yelling. 

"Yes, it is! But it's also about you!" Astrid's eyes were slowly filling with tears as her voice raised slightly.

"Have you ever lost your dragon? Have you ever had your cousin criticizing you all your life and constantly trying to one-up you? Have you ever been whipped until you couldn't stand anymore, Astrid?!"

"I lost my parents when I was just a babe Hiccup! You think I don't know what it is to lose something that important?! I didn't even get to know them, I don't remember a single thing!" Hiccup's face seemed to distort at this, baring his teeth.

"Ugh, Astrid, why do you have to be so- so- ugh!" He threw his hands into the air as tears began to fall from Astrid's watery blue eyes. 

"You're not yourself lately Hiccup. And until you are, I can't keep living like this. You ned to change, or you're going to lose someone else important to you as well." And with that, Astrid breezed out, shoulders shaking with silent sobs when she shut the door behind her, leaving Hiccup in the darkness, and once again, alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He couldn't believe it. She had threatened to break up with him and left him alone, again, just when he needed comforting most. He stood there in shock for a moment, staring at the closed door before running into the room, searching frantically for something, anything, to take his anger out on. 

Grabbing a pillow, he flung it across the room with a half hearted yell, then stood there for a few moments before slumping and collapsing onto the ground. 

"Oh, what have I done..." He looked up the ceiling with tears gathering in his eyes again, curled up into a little ball. "Dad, I need help." He burrowed into his knees again, shoulders shaking as he muttered to himself over and over again, that Snotlout was right, he's an idiot, and Snotlout is right. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                  THE NEXT DAY