Chapter 9

Ahem. The video is just for fun.. so yea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Umm.. I-It should be just around this corner.." Hiccup followed Sven around the corner of the dimly lit fortress walls, shadows dancing as the boy waved the torch around. "O-Oh no.. I messed up again.. I- I'm so sorry Hiccup, I- I'm awful, I really am." The boy looked downcast as Hiccup placed his hand on the young teen's shoulder, sighing inwardly, as this had been about the seventh time Sven had messed up the directions to the dragon cages. 

"It's alright. I'm sure we'll find it." Maybe next year.

The boy looked up at the young man, his bottom lip quivering. 

"O- Ok, wha- whatever you say, Hiccup." The juvenile turned around, going back the way he came with Hiccup close behind, torch flames dancing and leaping across the walls. The boy had grown to like Hiccup, and trusted him with most everything. Over the next hour of guard trickery and hiding, Hiccup had been incredibly understanding and kind, talking to him about his life, and being much better than anyone had ever been to him in his entire life. 

"Sven!" He turned around slowly to look at Hiccup, shadows cast menacingly across his face. "I remember this. They're here." And with that, Hiccup slipped around the corner towards the rows of labeled doors. 

Sven watched as Hiccup walked slowly down the hallway, looking at each and every door with a growing pain on his face.

"W- What is it Hiccup?"

"Nothing, it's just.." Hiccup looked up to him with a frown. "All these dragons, imprisoned and hurt, unable to do anything about it." Then his expression lightened as he turned around and swiftly walked over to one of the doors.  "And we're here to change that."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The gronckles, nightmares, zipplebacks, speed stingers, and timberjacks had all been set free, and with a few left, Hiccup was feeling better about the situation.

"Is it clear?" Hiccup watched as the hunchbacked little shadow ran over to him, coming into the little shaft of moonlight that revealed two big thumbs up.

"Yep."

"Alright, seal the door and open the roof up." The boy ran over to the big wooden doorway, shutting the door and bringing down the large piece of wood blocking it from opening. Next, he ran over to a little crank in the corner and began to wind it up. Hiccup looked up, his face to the moon, as the sky roof unfurled itself and melted away along with the darkness. Sven smiled at the rays of moonlight, and picked up the bucket of fish, running over to Hiccup. 

"Done!" Hiccup grinned at the boy's sudden enthusiasm, seeming to have lost his self consciousness, and clapped silently.

"Good! Now let's let these guys loose!" They both ran over to a few cages, the Nadders trilling and scraping at the bars. Throwing the doors to the mini prisons wide open, they stepped back from the dragons. They could be wild or tame, Hiccup wasn't sure.

At first, the dragons sniffed the frame, stepping out cautiously, and eyeing the two. They must be afraid to be hurt again. Hiccup grimaced at the thought, sad to see dragons so helpless and undefended. One of the dragons carefully trotted over to Hiccup, while the other looked up at the moon with wide eyes. It sniffed his hand. It tilted its head. 

"Hey buddy. How ya doing?" Hiccup tilted his head along with the dragon, the opposite direction. The dragon trilled softly, and tilted its head the other way to match Hiccup. Hiccup grinned, and the dragon seemed to do as well. "Go on, you're free!" The dragon looked up at the moon, then, calling out to the other one, they flew off, casting silhouettes as they looped and glided through the calming winds of the night.