Chapter 12

Can we just talk for a moment about this pic?? It has nothing to do with the chapter but it's just SO CUTE! Ok, I'm too excited, I need to stop, you came for the chapter, not my rants about SUPER CUTE!!!! pics :3 Now on to the story!!

ITS JUST SO CUTE

Sorry, sorry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dammit. She's gone, of course she's gone, right when I come back expecting everything to be perfect, she's gone! I have to say to her that I'm sorry, I miss her, geez, why couldn't things work out just for once!?

Toothless tries to burrow his head into the crook of my arm, but I shoo him off and put my head in my hands. I want to draw, but I can't. The only thing that comes to mind to sketch is Astrid, and that'd be too hard.  

I look over to Toothless, who is moping in the corner and eyeballing me like I'm Viggo or something. It's funny, but I can't laugh. Sighing, I push away from the desk and walk over to him. Just as I'm about to give him a hug, I hear a knock on the door. I stiffen. 

"Hiccup? I- It's Sven.. Can we talk?" I make my way over to the door, about to open it when I realize, I don't have to. And I honestly don't want to. I collapse onto the ground in a crumpled up ball as I realize what Astrid could be going through right now. Sven keeps knocking every few seconds, really ticking me off, but I don't have the energy to shoo him away right now.

I sniff as my vision begins to go blurry, one single tear slowly making its way down my cheek before plopping onto my boot softly, trickling off and in-between the floorboards. One tear. That's all I'm allowing myself today. Toothless comes and nuzzles me from behind, and I hug him back. Sven stopped knocking. I guess he thought I wasn't there anymore.

"Hey bud." I whisper softly, sniffing as my eyes water again. "Thanks." He growls, going back to his basket and returning with a fish for me, plopping on the ground and then sitting down, satisfied with himself as his tongue hangs out lazily and he gives me a gummy smile. I laugh at him, and he gives his dragon laugh in return. "I have no idea what I'd do if they took you away from me." I run my hand up and down his head, as he closes his eyes and rests, lying on the ground next to me. I sigh, laying down as well.

Astrid had better be safe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sven's bottom lip quivered, as he let his hand fall from the door. Either Hiccup didn't care, or he just wasn't there. After standing there for a few moments, he broke into a run, barreling back the way he came, doubling towards the stables, as he had done before to trick everyone. 

As he turned the corner, there they were, Stormy and Nightwing, sleeping side by side on the hardwoods. Nightwing was slightly turned away, while his sociable Stormy was facing her. Tiptoeing, Sven made his way over to the dragon and silently patted it on the back.

Stormy let one eye slip open, to see a very upset looking Sven. The dragon silently crept out with him, as the young boy leapt on to him, and as his first tears began to fall, took off.

But not before Fishlegs and Snotlout saw.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I turned the corner with Fish, when we saw a dark shadow whiz around the corner. I motioned to him, and he nodded, following close behind. As we peeked around the corner, I saw Sven, knocking on Hiccup's door with tears in his eyes.

Fishlegs looked to me and I shrugged, we both looked back to Sven. I could faintly hear the boy say, 

"Hiccup? I- It's Sven.. Can we talk?" I grimace as I hear this. Hiccup's never gonna open the door, unless he really loves Sven that much. But Sven doesn't know that, and he's gonna be crushed. I sneak a glance at Fishlegs, who has the same expression as me. He's thinking the same thing. 

We watch as he desperately knocks every few seconds, his eyes becoming more watery with every unanswered knock. He then silently drops his hand in defeat, obviously crushed that Hiccup didn't come to the door. 

He then turns and dashes back the way he came, and Fishlegs and I widen our eyes in alarm, crashing our way down the path and quickly wheeling into the twin's house for cover. Luckily, the twins aren't home, and we were quick enough that we made it inside just as Sven turned the corner.

Peeking out from between cracks, I can see him barreling down towards the stables.

Smart. He doubled back so that we wouldn't see him going to Hiccup.

As he rounds the corner to the stables, I motion to Fishlegs, and we both silently sneak down to the stables, just in time to hear a sniff, before the shadow of a Nadder dives off of the platform. Fishlegs sighs, placing his hands on his hips.

"Poor guy."

"Yeah." I set my jaw. "Why doesn't Hiccup ever answer?" I turn to look at Fish, who has a look of alarm on his face.

"Snotlout.."

"Yes?"

"What if Hiccup's not there?" He widens his eyes, but before he can say anything else, we're both crashing up the way we came, to Hiccup's hut. If he went alone to get Astrid, the same thing might happen to him that happened to her. It's an endless cycle, really.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What if Hiccup's not there?" My mind is pounding with the thought, and though it seems awful to think about, it is something that he would do. He loves Astrid way too much to just wait for it.

Snotlout is already crashing his way up the hill towards Hiccup's hut, and I follow without hesitation. He speeds around the corner, stopping in front of the door briefly before opening quickly, but silently. 

He frowns, and I pant as I limp over, tired from the run. 

"What? Is he gone?" I peer inside, to see Toothless sleeping peacefully on the ground, wrapping Hiccup in his wings, who is using Toothless as a pillow.

Hiccup is asleep as well, and though I'm sure Snotlout can't see it because of his position, from where I'm standing, I can see tear streaks all over his face. My guess is he was crying in his sleep, he would never cry that much while awake.

He sighs, about to close the door, when I stop him. 

"Snotlout, we need to see what's really going on." He looks puzzled, but I step inside anyway, tiptoeing over to Hiccup's desk.

Scattered all over it are pencils, books, maps, and sketches. Hung above are some sketches of dragons and maps that mark all of the locations and dangers in the archipelago. 

I start to flip through some sketches and books as Snotlout hisses at me.

"Fish, what the hell are you doing?" I ignore him as I grab another book, banging the desk in the process. We both freeze, and turn to look at Hiccup. Still asleep. I sigh, and back away from the desk, about to check another place when the bottom of his desk slides out, revealing a secret compartment. Bingo

I run over to see a sketchbook and a journal, as well as a few folded up slips of paper. I scoop them all up, closing the compartment before rushing out, Snotlout behind me.

"Fishlegs, what the hell was that?" He gestures to Hiccup's hut behind us wildly, as I continue walking without looking at him.

"I found what I was looking for Snot, leave it be." He groans, then turns towards his hut without another word. 

Hopefully this will help me to find what I've really been looking for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi. I'm sorry if this was ANOTHER boring chapter, but I've had a bit of a struggle writing it, and wasn't sure what should happen 😅 I promise next chapter will be better!!

Also, what do you think Fishlegs is gonna do? Comment down below 👌 I'm super awkward, lol, bye!

~Emmathepug