Chapter 15

I struggle to open my heavy eyelids, but when I do, I can see that the cave is pitch black. The fire has gone out, and a chilling breeze creeps underneath my clothing, snaking up and down my back.

In an attempt to keep warm, I huddle up, but am stopped when I feel arms around me. What the hell?! The person seems to be sleeping, and their breaths are slow and even. I try to stay as still as possible, for fear of waking them up. 

I can faintly remember sitting by the fire with Ingrid before falling asleep, and a weird dream about a bear who sang my favorite love song to me, The Dancing and Dreaming.

But don't tell anyone that, I'd be humiliated if anyone learned how much I adore that song.

As I sit there in the darkness, I can faintly smell something that reminds me of the bear from my dream. Vanilla, and an extremely faint scent of leather and ocean. It smells nice. And, as I lean closer to sniff, I can feel how warm the person is.

Just like my bear. 

I slowly place my head on their chest, careful not to disturb their sleep. Exactly like bear. The way they hold me, their scent, and their undeniably amazing warmth. It feels amazing, just like the dream. 

Although, considering how perfect things are, maybe it wasn't a dream. But then, who would come and randomly sing love songs to me and keep me warm?

I close my eyes again, inhaling his smell and burrowing softly into his chest, longing for more warmth as protection from the onsetting frigidness of the night.

Wait, I shouldn't do this! It's another man, not Hiccup! Unless..

I whip up, and I can feel him tense. He's awake. His hand rises, slowly resting onto my shoulder. I take in a sharp breath when he does, and within seconds, the gentle touch is gone. I then feel the other hand on the small of my back, pulling me closer. 

For some reason, I'm not afraid. I feel safe with this person, whoever they are.

He wraps his arms around me, and I snuggle in closely. Then I remember, another man, and I have no idea who he is. I pull away, my hands on his chest. A soft whisper.

"Who are you?" He takes my hands gently, and runs his fingers up and down the palms. 

"Who do you think I am?" A hoarse whisper. Whoever it is sounds familiar, but they're trying to conceal their voice, and in the darkness, it's hard to tell.

His hand is on the back of my neck now, not doing anything, just there. It's warm like the rest of him, and I really wish he would just wrap me up again in a blanket of vanilla and ocean. I then realize, I'm still curled up on his lap, same position as I was when he was just 'bear'.

"I don't know." The hand is now pulling me close again. I'm not scared. 

"Do you want me to show you?" I nod, which he can probably feel from the hand on my neck. Before I can react, he presses his lips to mine, and I'm shocked for a moment. Then I press my hands against his chest to pull away, but his hand is still firm on my neck and back. He pulls away.

My head is reeling, whizzing to process what just happened. A random dude just kissed me that's not Hiccup, I love Hiccup, why did I let him, I should have run, who the hell is he, whAt'S GOING ON?!?

Then it's all silenced by one single word out of his mouth.

"Astrid." I know that voice. My voice cracks as I stutter,

"H- Hiccup?"

His lips are on mine again, and this time I don't hesitate. He runs his hands through my hair gently, just like my bear. He's my bear. I love my bear.