Chapter 22

SHE SO CUTE IN THIS PIC I CANT

6 weeks, 4 days, 3 hours, and 42 minutes.

That's how long Ingrid had after we found out.

That's how much time she had left.

That's how much time her tormenter gave her.

It's been a year since she left us. A year of threatening letters from a very angry Bludvic, a year of regretting things I could have done nothing about, and a year of life without Ingrid.

Today, one year ago, is the day she died.

And, today, one year ago, is the day I lost my best friend.

And my first love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sven steps out of his hut sadly, sighing as his dagger drops to the ground with a clatter. He bends down to pick it up slowly, tucking it back into the nook of his belt reserved for the blade.

When he sees me, he smiles weakly and waves, running over.

He's grown up a lot. Kinda reminds me of Hiccup. Hiccup was hit by puberty like a truck, and everyone was shocked by the outcome. I still kind of am.

His hair has now grown out into a cute little mess that falls into his eyes, (DONT WORRY GUYS ITS STILL SHORT JUST A LITTLE MORE PUFFY LIKE HICCUP, IDK HOW TO EXPLAIN) and he's gotten a lot taller. He walks and speaks with much more confidence, and after Ingrid's death, he picked up fighting to keep him occupied.

A new pastime of mine. See who was the most precise aim over the span of five meaningless hours.

But today, he looks down. I'm about to ask what's wrong when he flicks his head to the side, and his bangs reveal his eyes. I can see it in them, it's something to do with Ingrid. He still hasn't gotten over that. 

Then it hits me: Ingrid died on this day, exactly a year ago.

I reach for his hand and he takes it, smiling gratefully as we walk over in silence to the clubhouse for breakfast.

"Astrid?"

"Hmm?" I turn to look at him expectantly, and he sighs.

"Thanks for being my friend when I needed one." I smile and muss his hair, causing him to roll his eyes as we step inside to see Hiccup and Fishlegs already there, looking over some drawings and talking animatedly about inventions like the nerds they are. No shade to nerds!

I plop down in between them and they both groan, causing me to scoff at Hiccup. Fishlegs, I can take, but my own boyfriend?! What the heck!?

"Aww, come on, I know you're happy to see me-" I burrow into his chest to annoy him and he turns a bright red, trying to push me away but then relaxing, even though I can tell he hates me doing this in front of Fishlegs.

I turn my head to face Sven, who sits on the other side of the round table and watches with amusement while taking a bite out of a loaf of bread.

"Have I embarrassed him enough?" Sven shakes his head, and Hiccup stutters.

"Wh- Wha- Why?" I cut him off with a kiss and he tries to push me away, but I shove his hand away and lean into him. I can tell he really wants this, but really doesn't want it in front of Fishlegs. I break the kiss for a moment to blurt out,

"I'm only doing this to annoy you and embarrass you, I hope you know." He's about to complain when I wrap my arms around his waist and pull him close, pressing my lips to his again. I hear Sven snort as Hiccup tries to push me away again, but fails.