Chapter 14

As always, I hope you're enjoying reading my story

As always, I hope you're enjoying reading my story. Let me know you are by giving me a vote and a comment! Ya'll are the best!

Ellison lay across Tom's four poster, her head in his lap, as Tom reclined against the headboard, engrossed as he always was, in a book. Her hand grasped his as her finger lightly traced the ring that adorned his right hand.
"Just how did you come about your ring exactly?" Ellison asked, eyeing the jet black stone at the ring's center. Tom had worn the rather large ring since the beginning of the school year, explaining that it was a family heirloom, though she had never pressed just how he had come about obtaining it until now.

"I told you," Tom began, his eyes never leaving the page of the book he was engulfed in, "It's a family heirloom."

"Yes, but..." Ellison paused. The fact Tom was an orphan had always been a particularly sensitive subject; one Ellison rarely brought up because of that fact.

"But how did I get it if my parents are dead?" Tom replied matter-of-factly, finishing the question she hadn't dared ask.

"I only meant-" Ellison began, but Tom cut her off.

"It's quite alright," he replied, lowering his book to reveal the smirk that now traced the corners of his lips. Ellison rolled her eyes,

"Well then how did you get it then?"

"A distant relative contacted the orphanage last summer with word that my mother's father had died." Tom paused, as if replaying the memory in his head. "As it turns out, he left me this," he continued, nodding at the ring. Ellison, propping herself up on Tom's knee, drew her eyes from the ring up to Tom.

"You mean your grandfather was alive this whole time and the orphanage didn't tell you?"

"On the contrary... They had no idea." Tom replied, simply. "And I would hardly call him my grandfather," Tom added, "After all, I never met the man, now did I?" Tom's words had sounded cold, but it was true. He hadn't met the man who had left him this ring. Tom always seemed to have a knack for disassociating himself from feeling, and Ellison knew this time would be no different. After all, how could someone you had never met be anything more than a stranger to you?

"Well it was quite nice... For him to leave you the ring." Ellison said, trying to make light of the gloomy conversation they were now having.

"Yes, I suppose it was," Tom replied indifferently. His eyes were already on the page of the book he had put down moments ago, scanning for the place he had left off.

"What does this symbol in the stone mean?" Ellison asked, ignoring the disinterested tone in his voice. She ran her finger along its smooth surface. Etched into the dark stone was a small triangle.

"A family crest of some kind I suppose," Tom replied without looking up from the page he was so intently studying.

"I like it," she said, thinking out loud. Ellison laid her head back on to Tom's lap, giving his hand a gentle squeeze. "What are you reading?" Tom peered over the top of his book.