Chapter 18

How did you like Chapter 17? Let me know by giving 18 some love! Your votes and comments are so important to me! :)

Ellison awoke, squinting her eyes as sunlight flooded through her bedroom window. "Good morning," a raspy voice called as the arms wrapped around her pulled her close. Tom was gazing down at her, a pleasant smile across his face.

"Good morning," she replied, returning his smile.

"How did you sleep?" he asked, reaching up to brush a stray curl from her face.

"Wonderfully," she said, planting a peck on Tom's cheek. Gathering the sheet around her, she sat up, grabbing the pale blue nighty that had been discarded the night before. Slipping it over her head, she stood up, walking over to her bureau. Tom sat up, slipping on his boxers as he stood, and walked around the bed to where she stood. Wrapping his arms around her waist from behind, he gazed into her eyes in the reflection of the mirror, pressing his lips against the crook of her neck. She turned around to face him, leaning her forehead against his. They stood there in silence, embracing one another. "I think I'm falling in love with you Tom Riddle," she whispered, breaking the silence that had encompassed the room. Tom, leaning back to look at her properly, said nothing. She looked away, last night's blush creeping up her chest once again.

"Ellison..." Tom breathed, staring down at her.

"I don't know why I said that," she shook her head.

"Ellison-" he began but she cut him off.

"No ... I'm sorry. That was a stupid thing to say." Pulling away from him she turned away. "I should go wash up before breakfast..." she folded her arms in an effort to hide the blush that covered her chest and neck.

"Ellison, wait-" Tom began, but she cut him off again.

"I'll be out in a few minutes." Giving him a reassuring smile, she retreated into the bathroom.

~

The clock ticked as Ellison and Tom sat at the breakfast table, the sound of forks scraping across plates emanating through the otherwise silent room. She had been mortified the moment she had spoken those words to Tom. The look he had given her had been one of pity. She had seen it in his eyes. She had felt silly, retreating like a small child afraid of being chastised. Once inside the bathroom, the tears that had stung her eyes had fallen freely, mixing with the hot water of the shower. She had stood there under the steady stream for what seemed like an eternity until she had mustered up enough strength to get out. 'How would she face him?' she had thought. 'What would he say?' She had stepped out into, to her relief, an empty bedroom, and had toweled off and dressed. She had felt fragile and small staring at the reflection in the mirror, hair damp and stringy, eyes still puffy. Finally, gathering any courage she had had left, she had stepped into the hall and made her way to the kitchen.

Now, here she sat, across from Tom, picking at the half eaten piece of toast on her plate. They hadn't said a single word since sitting down for breakfast. The silence was deafening. Too deafening for Ellison to take any longer. She stood up abruptly, causing Tom to look up from the fried egg he had been pushing around with his fork.

"I'm going for a walk," she said, drawing in a deep breath.

"A walk?" Tom questioned, his face expressionless.

"Yes."

"Would you like me to accompany you?" His voice was steady and void of emotion, as it so often was.

"No..." Ellison said, a little too quickly. "I just ... need some fresh air," Giving Tom a week smile, she turned for the door.

"When will you be back?" Tom called as she twisted the knob.

"An hour."

~

Ellison walked down the cobblestone path that stretched in front of her house. She had walked the path many times before. It had been her favorite place to clear her head as a young girl. Now, here she was again, walking over the familiar stones. Her thoughts were muddled, as they had been the night before, though she had welcomed the haze then. Now, it only reminded her of the mistake she had made.

She had been foolish. Foolish to give herself to Tom in that way. Foolish to believe he could love her. But most of all, foolish to speak that word ... Love. Had it been true? Was she truly falling in love with Tom? She wanted desperately to believe the lie she had tried to tell herself. That she wasn't. That she had only said it in the heat of the moment. But she knew that wasn't the case. If she were honest, she was. She had been since the moment he had first kissed her. She ran her fingers through her hair and drew in a deep breath, releasing it as a long sigh. What had she gotten herself into? She walked along the road, running her fingers along the picket fence that lined the path.

After a few more minutes of walking she turned around, glancing in the direction of the brick cottage from which she had journeyed. It had grown small in the distance. She had to have walked almost a mile. She breathed a sigh, deciding she had better go back. She had told Tom she would be returning in an hour, and it had taken her almost that long to walk as far as she had. Turning, she walked back in the direction from which she had come.

She had walked only a few paces when a hand suddenly clasped over her mouth, another wrapping around her waist, pulling her against the body to which they belonged. She kicked and thrashed, trying desperately to reach the wand that was secured in her waistband. The hand that had clutched her mouth released her, a sharp pain shooting through the back of her head in its absence ... Her body went limp, everything fading to black.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAPPY LATE THANKSGIVING GUYS :D

I hope you all enjoyed your holiday as much as I have (which consisted of no school work or studying - YAY!) For this chapter, I decided to try out a new format. I think it reads a little easier! Let me know what you think in the comments ... if you like it, I'll keep it this way!