Chapter Seven: The Pedantic

Thank you WillSmith5S0S for the cute cover!

The Pedantic

As promised I visited Carter the next day. I sat at his desk and flipped through a Math dictionary he had while he cleaned his room. He didn't have much, just a lot of books scattered around. I didn't even know he went to the library and had overdue books. When Carter visited me once in Minnesota, I showed him my dad's library and he spent two hours in there. I think he's a bigger nerd than Lana if he's not mesmerized by the female body.

"So, you're definite, on Minnesota?" Carter asked as he walked into the room with a new box. Our conversation started when he spoke about Yale, so it eventually led to my future.

"Not a hundred percent but it looks like things might go that way. Since my mom knows more about James, she thinks it's better if I'm somewhere else." I said as I thought of the conversation I had with momma a few days after the incident at the cottage happened.

"Closer to home?" he asked with his back faced to me as he packed another box full of books.

"Yeah, I guess, plus we might go there for a few days," I said then tossed the book on his bed. He turned to me with his brow raised as I leaned into the chair.

"What's the occasion?" he asked then raised his index finger before I replied. "Also, where will you be staying?"

"We might stay at a hotel, and I guess Uncle Sterling just misses his favorite nephew," I said because dad's brother always found Axel to be his favorite when we were kids. It also explained as to why Axel went to Minnesota last year; his door was still open.

"Did he forget that he has two other nephews?" Carter laughed, and I remembered Aidan and me when we were kids. Uncle Sterling chose Axel because he was the firstborn while Aidan and I had each other.

"Yep but I guess he still has a thing for Axel."

"So, will the Rowley's be going, with if this trip happens?"

"Nope, just momma, Axel and I but it's not confirmed yet. I don't even know why they want to go when I am going there soon anyway."

"Maybe to help you get settle in." Carter shrugged his shoulders as I nodded in agreement. I watched him for a while until he sat on his bed and took his phone from the desk. He didn't go on it, but he tossed it between his hands then looked at me. "Have you told anyone else?"

"No, we're still deciding, but once it's certain, then we'll probably tell everyone," I said to which he nodded but still kept his gaze on me.

"Do you think Lana would be out of the hospital by the time we're off to college?" he asked then shook his head. "Well...do you think she'll be walking by then?"

"I don't know but the doctors said she might get discharged soon, there's not much they can do now, so she'll be in a wheelchair for a while," I mumbled as I remembered her face when she told us she's temporarily paralyzed.