Chapter Eighteen: A Didactic Approach

Thank you @AmyAutumn for the cool cover!

Song: You Can Run

Artist: Adam Jones

A Didactic Approach

Blake

I didn't know whether my mother had friends or maybe she really wanted my brother and I's opinion on the clothing she decided to take to Minnesota. Axel and I haven't started packing let alone, gotten our suitcases while our mother interrupted us, every time we tried to watch TV.

"Momma, that's exactly like the second one you showed us," Axel whined as I glanced up at her black dress. We said no because it looked formal, well that's what we told her, but it actually revealed a lot. Thank goodness she didn't wear any of them.

"When are we even going?" I asked before she ran down the hall to show us another outfit. This time she didn't block the television. Instead, she collapsed on the sofa beside me and smiled.

"Well, your Uncle Sterling and I have decided that it'd be fun to be there while it's your birthday," Momma mumbled to which I scrunched up my nose.

"So, we're gonna' take him to court and one of those days might be on my birthday?"

"Oh, come on little bro, don't think of it like that," Axel spoke up as I turned to him. "Think of it as spending your nineteenth birthday with your family and some old friends...in a courtroom."

I thought of the first part and how excited Dmitri would've gotten at the mention of my birthday

I thought of the first part and how excited Dmitri would've gotten at the mention of my birthday. I bet he didn't forget and if I told him I'd be there around that time, he'd do something about it. Old friends though, I barely remembered any of them because once dad died, they disappeared.

"Alright, so we're going about the end of July?" I asked to which momma nodded then let out a squeal.

"Yep but first we have to get through July 4th." Momma sighed then pushed up her glasses. "I still have to think about what I'm going to take with to the Willson's."

"Yeah momma, 4th of July is in two days," Axel said as I gawked at him. He sent me a questioned look, but I looked away before he asked me anything.

Time flew ever since Keene got the call from James. I didn't know what was going on, but hopefully, nothing happens on July 4th. Lana's had a lot of sessions lately, and I heard the other night she almost walked to Liam.

I wish I were there, but at the same time, I'm glad I didn't go because a few hours later everyone was in panic mode because Lana went missing. I thought that's James planned to threaten Keene for the money but Levi had her all along. The following day I visited him, and he barely spoke to her as if something went on that night. The day after that, I visited Lana and was surprised to find Levi there. They acted normal, but I noticed the longing glances they'd send each other when the one didn't look.