Chapter Thirteen: Preliminary Statement

READ TILL THE END FOR EXCITING NEWS! Thank you @maddiemgirl for the collage of the characters :)

Preliminary Statement

Axel had an afternoon shift today at Rodney's while momma took the day off because her boss was out of the country. It's rare days like these when we're all together and when I mean all, even Axel's dog.

We sat in the living room, and I flicked through the channels of the TV while momma texted away on her phone beside me. Axel sat in the recliner and ran his fingers through Scruffy's fur since he sat on his lap. Momma made breakfast this morning, but what made it different from every other morning, she made Axel and I's favorites. She only made our favorite food when it's a special holiday or when we've done something good. I don't recall either of those in the past few days.

I glanced at my mother who sat on the other end of the sofa, when we first sat down she was right next to me but eventually, she drifted off. Axel began to hum a tune, and I turned to see that he also watched her. I bet she's texting her boyfriend, whoever he was.

"Look at momma; she's more sociable than us," Axel spoke up as we grinned at each other. That didn't even catch her attention as her thumbs moved across the screen. Her glasses also fell to her nose, but she didn't bother to push it back up. I eyed Axel suspiciously then reached over and gently pushed her glasses, which finally caught my mother's attention.

"Hmm." She trailed off and gave us each a look then dropped her gaze back to her phone. Axel groaned and tossed a pillow toward her as Scruffy barked. "Axel!"

"Who are you so indulged into texting?" Axel cut to the chase as mom glanced at each of us with a sigh.

"Your uncle, we're planning to visit him."

"Why? Him of all people."

"We have to Blake."

"No, we don't, well I don't so you and Axel can go," I muttered then turned back to the television.

"We're going as a family." Momma raised her voice as I rolled my eyes. Uncle Sterling and I barely got along; I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know my name. He only loved Axel.

"Well if we're going, we're not staying with him."

"I knew you would've said something like that, so I'm looking for accommodation." She murmured then looked at her phone again.

"Why are we exactly going, I'm going there any way for college, so I don't need t—"

"We're going to get our house back!" Momma cut me off with a stern look. Neither Axel or I knew what to say as she glared at us. A thick tension rose in the air but thankfully, the TV's noises and Scruffy's puffs eased it.

"Wh-what?" Axel leaned forward as Scruffy hopped off his lap and walked out of the room as if he knew this wouldn't end well.

"Since Blake will be studying in Minnesota, I've decided that it's best that he stays in our old house. My husband's home which he loved...that all of us loved."

"Uncle Sterling has it now and what's worse is that he doesn't even stay in it!" I hissed then rose to my feet. "The house is just standing there as a way of showing how fu—"

"Language." Momma cut me off as she raised her index finger. "We all know how your uncle sees us as, vulnerable because Damian isn't here anymore but his will is and clearly states that Blake will be the one to take over. Axel, your father left you the motor shop...Sterling isn't mentioned because he's making his dollars already."