Chapter Twenty Three: My Fervent Wish For You

Thank you @DaiyaG for the cool cover!

Song: Fears

Artist: Twin Wild

My Fervent Wish for You 

Blake

Since we couldn't follow Sheriff Willson because we would've run out of gas halfway, we found the closest gas station and filled up there. Thankfully, Levi memorized the places, so the first place we went to was The Chicago Board of Trade Building. No surprise that we found a few police cars parked on the street. They wouldn't let us stay, so we leisurely drove around the block and searched for anything out of the ordinary. Neither, Sheriff Willson or Detective Kale was there, and it didn't look like any of them had any luck, so we went to the next destination.

It was already 3:30 am when we arrived at City Hall. I noticed Levi yawned a few times and I said I'd take over if we had to go to the next place. Detective Kale was here because the security guards at City Hall were fussy and wouldn't let the police inside. We parked across the road where we got a full view of everyone. No one sat on their ass and did nothing; everyone was up on their feet doing something.

Once Detective Kale spoke to the guards he walked back to his car and put on some gear. Levi and I exchanged a wry look then turned back in time to see him on his phone. City Hall must've been the place. A few minutes later, SWAT vans arrived, so that confirmed that they either knew they were down there or found an opening down in the basement.

"We should sneak in and find out what's going on," Levi spoke up as he began to tap his index finger against the steering wheel impatiently. I turned to him and noticed how his eyes flickered from left to right, watching everyone.

"That's impossible; it's crawling with cops," I said and turned back to find Detective Kale, taking control as he spoke to the SWAT team.

"It's dark, they'll barely see us, plus it looks like the cops are occupied." He motioned to the corner of the street where a group of people stood. The policemen looked like they tried to deal with the drunk people but had no luck since they laughed, tipped over and ignored him.

"Still too, it looks like they have everything under control," I mumbled as Detective Kale directed the men into the building. Some went around the back while the others went through the front.

"You know she'd do the same for us," Levi spoke up as his gaze remained on the drunk people. The policeman seemed like he had enough and spoke into his radio. One of the people who didn't look too intoxicated assured the policeman then directed his friends in another direction.

"Don't play that card on me, I know she will, but it's too dangerous. We can't just f*ck up their plans because we decided to play the superhero, leave it to the professionals."

Levi muttered something under his breath, and I had no energy to cause an argument and ask what he said. That didn't seem to be our problem at the time as the police officer who shooed the drunk people away, squinted his eyes in our direction.

"Sh*t." Levi cussed as the police officer began to walk in our direction. He reached for something by his belt, and I thought it'd be his gun, but instead, it was a flashlight.

"Do not start the car, it'll make everything worse," I whispered since Levi's hand went toward his keys. He froze and casually placed his one arm over the open window. As the police officer neared us, I tried to recognize him, but I hadn't seen him before.

"CPD, can I help you gentlemen?" his voice came out formally as he leaned down so that we'd be eye level. He flashed us his badge as he glanced at Levi then me. "Isn't it late to be driving around, this time of morning?"