CHaPTeR TWeNTY SiX

"Okay now, listen up!" I walked into the field with a stern look on my face. I looked at all of them and mentally executed my plan.

"I need all of you lined up and I need twenty push-ups from each one of you."

"Pfft, that's child's play," jerk-face smirked and looked at me with eyes filled with mock-pity. "is that the maximum you little girls can do?" he let out a short laugh.

"You don't want to question her in this John. Trust me, you don't."

Poor Jules tried to warn him but he didn't seem to get the hint.

"Yeah, you try to save her from getting embarrassed. I'm sure I could do more push-ups than her if I were eighty years old."

Okay boy, now that's just pushing it.

"I challenge you dirt bag!" I spat. "A whole round of physical tasks, Daniel can start and you can take his place after he tires out. I could still win you know, because I don't think drinking cheap beer everyday is so good for all that fat on you. Tomorrow morning, I'll have the arena set. Deal?"

"Deal." He stretched out his palm and I shook it once with a firm grip. I hate sloppy handshakes.

"Now all the best finding your way back, Jules and I have some stuff to do. You guys can go and prepare for tomorrow."

Jules sniggered, "I warned you." She came and stood by me as she waved them goodbye. Daniel just stood there in the midst of all this with his eyes and mouth wide open, quite literally and when John turned his back to us and started walking away, taking the wrong track may I add. When he saw that everything was set and nothing could be done now, he huffed, stomped his feet like a child and followed jerk-face with his arms crossed across his chest and his head cast down.

I'll not lie, I kind of feel bad for that poor kid.

"Was adding Daniel to your feud a good idea? Not that you won't win anyway but why add to it? Why not just teach John a lesson?" Jules' voice snapped me back into reality.

"I don't know,  it just happened in the heat of the moment I guess." I mumbled. Even I don't know why I did that. But I just wanted to teach him a lesson so bad. "Come on now, we've got lots to do."

"What kind of 'arena' were you talking about, Q? We're not back home, you know? You can not just drag him into our basement. I don't think you'll find any kind of arena here." She stated.

"I have a vague idea in my mind. I just need to find Anne."

"How will we even find her? She left no address. She just mentioned something about a farm and as far as I know, we are trespassing one right now and there are hundreds of others here. It's like searching for a needle in a cornfield full of elephants."

"Umm, I don't think that's how the saying goes,"

"Nah, I'm pretty sure about it."

I chuckled at her, "Never mind, let's just get moving."

"Yeah, something begun is something finished." She stated with a nod.

" Jules?"

"Yeah?"

"Never mind." I chuckled and linked arms with hers as we walked into a trail leading to God knows where.

We followed our hearts and roamed aimlessly for about half an hour talking about all kinds of nonsense ranging from the length of Santa's beard to the kind of aliens living on the peak of the Mt. Everest. Both of us had lost our sense of direction and the sun was starting to go down into the horizon.

I heard distant sounds of male laughter and music. My hand went to rest on the holster on my hip and Jules did the same. Both of us hid behind a huge tree trying to decide what to do. Jules did a lot of hand gestures trying to look like a super spy.

"Honestly Jules, we need to practice these signs. You look like a dying walrus right now."

She huffed and whispered, "Not like there should be any danger around here but we should still be careful. You go and scope out the situation and call for me if everything is clear."

"What! Why should I go? You go."

"Well, I don't wanna."

"Let's toss for it."

"As if I carry coins in my boot."

"Ugh! I'll go!"

She smirked and waved at me. I poked my tongue out at her and turned around, my shoulders tense waiting for something to happen.

I followed the faint music and soon found myself in front of a small barn. It's probably just a small party or something.

I peeked in and saw nothing but heaps of hay and lots of chicken running around. Two horses were tied near the gate and a small stereo was kept near their feet.

The animals here have a pretty good taste of music.

Curiosity got the best of me and I decided to take a little peek further inside the barn. I saw a line of cows standing contently and I followed the line only to find a figure perched on a stool among them, most probably trying to milk her.

Well, no threat here. I started to turn back and retreat but out of nowhere, there was a sudden panic as almost four chicken ran past me, one even through my legs. They shrieked as they ran and that was enough to draw the attention of Mr. Mystery Cow Person.

I looked down to trace the chicken and preparing to climb up the nearest tree if need be but soon I heard a voice calling out to me.

"Are you okay miss?"

I snapped my head back to him and did a double take. He was not at all what I imagined him to be. Sure, he was dressed in old rags, something I would imagine only old farmers in but boy, did he do justice to those rags.

"Miss?"

My eyes snapped back to meet his brown ones which were staring into mine.

"Umm, yeah. I'm alright."

He wiped his hands on some kind of rag attached to his belt and started walking towards me trying to shoo all the hens running wildly like headless chicken.

Oh boy.

Comment 🏵 Like🏵 Follow 🌸