CHaPTeR THiRTY NiNe

Singing a remix of all the good songs I knew in my mind, I rested my head against John's back as he drove through the roads which were getting darker by the minute. A little rest will not do anyone any harm. We need to find a place for the night soon enough.

Debating with Mini Q if half an hour had passed or five because I was a little too comfortable where I was right now, I felt us slowing down and eventually, coming to a stop.

"Are we at a motel?" I lifted my head to check out my surrounding. Instead of a motel, I find us parked in front of a rather shady place, with lots of old cars parked out front. This made me jerk to attention and my hands went to my holster, ready for anything.

"No, we're not at a motel. I was hoping that we could exchange this for a car and actually drive through the night so that we can reach Daniel and Jules by early morning."

"Pfft... buddy, I'm in no shape to ride through the night. I can try, but I cannot guarantee that you will be alive and breathing by the morning. So..."

"You don't need to buddy, I can. I just can't spend more time on the road."

"Aren't you tired? You've been driving for so long."

He smirked at me. How did I not predict that? I'm sure he'll say bad boys never get tired babe.

"No, I can do it. You, on the other hand look like you definitely need a good night's sleep." He sniggered and I huffed, turning my face away, crossing my arms and pouting like a little child.

"Whatever. Let's go in. It's on you if someone in there shoots you." I spread my arm out, bowing a little, giving him permission to lead the way.

"Oh, and Q?" he said over his shoulder. "Bad boys never get tired babe."

Ughh.

Opening the little battered door, the bell on the door frame jingled, announcing our presence to everyone inside. I placed my hand on my hip, trying to look casual, but at the same time getting close to the gun tucked behind my shorts.

"Yoohoo! May I help you?"

You've got to be kidding me.

An old man sat behind a makeshift counter, his eyes sparkling with joy. He looked short but I'm pretty sure that the counter hid a huge body waiting to pounce the second we made a wrong move. I stepped in front of John, all my instincts kicking in.

I felt John's hand on my shoulder, pushing me behind him in a not very gentle manner.

"Don't act weird. Let me handle this." He whispered into my ear as he walked closer to the counter guy with a huge smile on his face. A few minutes and some very loud laughs later, John was exchanging his old keys with the new ones.

Yes! Now I can get some decent sleep in the car!

"Let me add in a complimentary Couple's Sauna for you guys!"

"Can I get some carrots for my reindeer too?" Mini Q asked the counter guy in her best 'Anna voice'.

Thankfully, John spoke up, saving me from embarrassment. "Sounds fun, George! But we've got no time at all. I'll make sure that we drop by and take you up on that offer on our ride back home."

Exchanging warm smiles and some more inside jokes with his new best friend, John finally stepped out of the shop and headed towards one of the cars, olive green in colour, and opened the passenger side door, stepping aside and looking at me with that sly smirk of his.

"Are you going to get in?" I asked him and his expression faltered for a second.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"Why are you holding the door open if you don't intend to get in?" I retorted. I don't need no man to open doors for me.

"Oh for God's sake Q, just get in." He motioned for me to enter with his right arm and looked away with a scowl on his way.

"You guys have a problem if we don't open doors for you and also if we do open them for you. What do you all want? Do you want chivalry to exist or not?" he exclaimed in an exasperated voice.

I chuckled, taking in the victory of unnerving him.

This seems fun, looks like I've got a new way to pass my time now.

"So, all the best to you buddy. I'm just going to rest my head on this glass right here and feel free not to disturb me if anything goes wrong on the way." I smiled at him and shifted on my seat, finding the most comfortable position to sleep.

Despite trying my best, I could not find myself to actually rest because it is just so damn difficult to rest my head on that damn window. I don't know how those girls in the movies do it.

Giving up, I looked at John, seeing him focused on the road and tried to figure out a way to sleep.

I need to sleep.

"Take off jacket." I commanded, sternly glaring at me.

Shocked, he turned to look at me, his eyes wide as saucers.

"Woah there buddy, I'm sure there is this connection between us and I cannot believe that I'm actually going to say this," he looked ahead at the road for a second before turning to look at me with a grave expression, "but, I'd like to take it slow please."

Waiting for a second to confirm if he was joking or not, and finding out that he was not, I burst out into fits of laughter. Wiping my tears from my eyes, I tried to stop myself but could not help but burst out into laughter again.

"I'm sure that whatever you want should be done slowly. I just need your jacket." I added an extra please just for good measure.

Keeping the confused look on his face intact, he removed one hand from the steering wheel and shrugged off the jacket, and I helped by pulling the sleeve on my side, finally getting what I wanted.

I grinned and thanked him. The poor, still clueless, tried to concentrate on the road while turning to look at me. I scrunched up the jacket to form a rough ball and stuffed it between my head and the window, sighing when I finally found the right amount of comfort.

"Hey! That is a pretty expensive jacket that you are ruining!"

I chuckled. Seeing him distressed has been my favorite pastime and I'm loving it.

"So you're finding all this funny, right?" he gave me a fleeting glance and turned again to concentrate on the road. "You won't be laughing for too long buddy."

"Whatever floats your boat buddy." I murmured and drifted off into a peaceful sleep.