CHaPTeR TWeNTY eiGHT

"Hey G, how do you pass time around here?" Jules asked as we walked along the fences of a huge green field. Apparently, they were best friends now.

"Oh I have lots to do around here. Places like this never let you stay idle. You always have something to do." The way he talked was so new to me, it was as if he thought about, and meant every single word he spoke. One could see the love he had towards his farm in his eyes when he spoke about it.

I could never imagine myself living among such calm. I was used to living on the edge and one day here without doing anything would have me on my nerves. The nature here provided with a sense of calm and I don't think I'm cut out for the calm.

"Hey, what do you think?" I was pulled out of my thoughts as Grayson looked at me, waiting for an answer. Crap! What now?

"I'm sure Q would love it! She loves swimming and all of us could even have a race or something!" I nodded at whatever she said, knowing that she was saving me from any further embarrassment. She's an angel when it comes to times like these. I gave her a look saying thank you and looked at Grayson just when he averted his eyes from me and looked forward, smiling.

"So what kind of an open space do you want, Q?

"Huh?"

"For your training with the guys, what would you like to do?"

"Oh, umm... I just wanted a little bit of space for some physical exercises, you know, just a race, some hurdles and what not."

He grinned at me and nodded. "I would like to see the look on his face when you end with the session. Either he'll be huffing and panting like Freddy on a hot day or he'll be passed out." He chuckled at himself.

"You really don't like John, do you?" I asked and all of a sudden, his face turned grim and I regretted all the words I had spoken in life. "You don't have to answer, its none of my business anyway." I said, hoping that I hadn't ruined anything.

"No, it's okay. We were really close when we were younger. He just started distancing himself from all of us a few years ago. Something is troubling him and it just pains me that he is not letting me help him. That's why I was relieved when I heard about you. Thank you."

I was flustered beyond explanation. Mini Q was riffling through a huge dictionary trying to find some words to speak but the book slowly tore into pieces and both of us were left speechless. I looked around for Jules, hoping she would save me again but she had already skipped ahead.

Why oh why can I not just show some tricks and throws with my pocket knife and let the knife speak for me?

My brain shut down and I let my heart speak for itself. "Please don't thank me. My parents always believed in putting other's life first and they had always taught me how to protect in times of trouble. I'm just doing what they taught me to do." I looked at him and gave him a slight smile which he returned.

"Guys!" Jules yelled, waving her hands at us. "We don't have much time to spend smiling at each other, do we?"

Both of us jogged to her and I stood by her, facing John. "So, do you have any place in mind?"

"Definitely!" he exclaimed. "Let me take you to this open field near your cottage. It has a long stretch of land if you want to race and I have some haystacks in the barn if you want to use them as hurdles or something?"

Jules and I beamed at him. "Yes, that'll be perfect!" she exclaimed.

We walked for another minute and slowly, our little cottage came into view as it peeked at us from behind some trees. The sun had completely set and moonlight adorned the huge field ahead of us.

Grayson opened a huge fenced gate and let us in. As I walked in, I could see tomorrow's match happening. I knew that both of us had an equal chance of winning. I might practice every day but he has a strong will which could be his greatest help.

"Anyways, it's late and you guys should go get some rest. Tomorrow is a big day."

"Okay! We'll see you tomorrow, right?" Jules chirped at him.

"Of course, I'll not miss it for anything. You guys want me to drop you back?"

I looked back at the cottage and then smiled at him. "We're big girls, Grayson. I think we can manage ourselves. Thank you."

"I know you girls can manage by yourselves. Good night," he gave us a huge smile and turned around.

"And Q?" he turned and looked at me. "Call me Gray." He gave me a final smile and strode onto the moonlit path.

We walked back into the cottage, arms linked and heads rested on each others.

Somehow, amidst all the chaos, life felt good.       

Hey guys! I'm thinking of changing the title of the book from 'Bad Boy Needs Protection' to 'Protecting John'. What do you think? Also, leave a like and a comment if you're liking the story so far❤