CHaPTeR THiRTY FouR

After finishing the meal in comfortable silence, we decided that it was time for us to head back home. I don't know if there was something in the food which made me feel more comfortable with him but I decided to ask him the one question which was bothering me ever since I heard of him.

"Hey, John?" he looked at me as we were walking side by side back home. "Can I ask you something?"

He smirked, "You just did." He chuckled at his own response.

"HA HA, smartass. I'm serious, can I?"

He sobered up, looked at me with a frown on his forehead and nodded.

"Shoot."

"Do you think that no one loves you? Or cares about you? Is that why you push everyone away?"

He seemed shocked for a second and I held my breath, waiting for his response. Then he took a breath and his demeanour changed to 'visibly angry'.

You crossed a line, I think. She shrugged.

"Who gave you the permission to judge me? You were given one job, try and do that. There is no need to try and befriend me." He huffed and marched forward.

Okay there missy!

The one thing I was thankful about was that we had almost reached the cottage and I wouldn't have to endure any more awkward silence. When we reached, we saw that Jules and Daniel had already reached back and Daniel was on the telephone, talking to someone.

Wait, that thing actually works?

"Out on a date, were we?" Jules smirked and I shook my head at her. Not the time, my friend.

John scowled at her and went to Daniel who gave him the phone while mouthing 'Dad' at him. Wait, Anthony was actually calling? I have so many questions! I ran towards him and waited patiently for my turn on the phone.

I tapped my foot in annoyance because, if you don't know, I hate one sided conversations.

"Yeah, everything's fine." Except for miss moody over here.

"Okay, sure. Put mom on." What are you sure about?

"Yes ma, the weather is fine." Do you not feel the humidity over here?

"No mom, there are no ugly clowns running around. That was last year." Seriously? Clowns? I need to make sure to keep my knifes on me at all times.

"Yes ma," he let out a sigh. "I'll be careful." Yeah, that you need to be.

He then gave me a look as he listened to something Emily was telling him. "I'll try ma." What? What will you try? To not be a jerk-face at all times?

"Okay, put Mary on," he sighed as he waited for Mary to talk to him.

"Yes Mary, we are eating well." Aww! How sweet of her to ask.

"Anne made us all dinner." Which you ran out in the middle of!

"Okay, tell Lucia I love her." Aww! He's such a good big brother!

I stretched out my hand for the telephone since he was clearly done with his conversation.

He gave me a look, "Okay, bye." He said into the phone and put the receiver down.

You idiot! I wanted to talk to them!

"You idiot! I wanted to talk to them!" I stomped my foot like a three year old. "What did they say? When are we going back? Are we even going back?"

He grinned, got out of the barstool he was sitting on and walked away.

I swear I'll kill this boy myself!

"Guess you'll never know!" he said to me and strolled back into his room, ready for a goodnight's sleep.

Oh no, he didn't.

I huffed and followed him into his room. He was just pulling on a pair of pyjamas when I barged in and I squealed and turned back, closing my eyes tightly. I heard him laugh behind my back. That idiot!

"You can look now," he said.

"Why did you change in my room?" I demanded.

"Your room? This is my room, obviously, that was decided yesterday." He said and started pushing the covers aside for him to lay down.

"Then why did I sleep here yesterday? That makes it my room."

"Hey, if you love the bed so much, I'm ready to share." He shrugged.

I glared at him. Groaning, I went into the bathroom. After I had splashed some water on my face to calm myself down, I got out only to find Mr. jerk-face smirking at me, lying down comfortably on the bed with one arm supporting his huge head.

Suddenly, his expression changed into a more grim one.

"Did you forget to change into your night clothes?" he asked me, eyeing Gray's clothes on me.

I shook my head at him, "Nope, this is just too comfortable. I believe that I'll get a good night's sleep in this. Good night, John!" I said over my shoulder as I walked out into the living room. Jules and Daniel were already in their rooms and the lights were off. Well, they did have to get up pretty early tomorrow for the training. Guess I'll sleep early too!

My dear couch, here I come!

I was just getting comfortable on the couch, coiling into a fetus position and letting out a deep, contended sigh as I found the perfect position to sleep in when I heard John's bedroom door opening and his footsteps leading him into the kitchen. He opened the fridge and then the door closed. It was silent after that. Actually, there was too much silence. This made my very suspicious and I was just about to crack an eye open when something hit me hard in the face.

Ice-cold water, to be exact.

"What the hell John!" I breathed out as I shivered because of the sudden chill.

"Oops? I was just drinking some water and it slipped?"

I groaned at him and his stupidity. "How do you spill water all the way from the kitchen onto the couch?" I yelled at him.

The boy had the audacity to just shrug at my rage.

I'll cut his shoulders off!

"Guess you'll have to change after all..." he trailed off as he walked back into the room.

I could smell the smirk on his stupid face.

"Urghh!" I stomped my way back into the room to go into the bathroom to take a shower.

A very warm shower.