Chapter 3: Chocolate Cake

'9:02 A.M.' the clock reads. Mariana is swiftly examining the outside of her home. Wondering what plants and flowers should she add. She decides she wanted her home to look more lively and welcoming. She didn't want it to look completely dead. She doesn't want to live in the past. Memories of how her Grandmother use to care for her garden everyday invades her.

Not wanting to dwell she refocuses her attention on the task at hand. A feeling of tranquility washes over her. The sun is out while the wind faintly blows. Mariana at that moment wishes to freeze time. This is the life that she always wanted.

"Excuse me." Mariana jumps at the sudden sound of a voice.

Turning to her right Mariana notices the young girl from yesterday with two kids by her side. There are a girl and a boy. They look close in age. The girl currently holds a slice of wrapped chocolate cake.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, but I wanted to give you a piece of chocolate cake that my siblings and I made yesterday." The girl extends the cake out towards Mariana.

"Thank you," Mariana says as she hesitantly takes the dessert from her hands.

"I never formally introduced myself. My name is Rei and I'm 14 years old. This is my sister Regine and she is 4 years old. Last but not least, this is my brother Reiji and he is 3 years old."

"Nice to meet you all. I'm Mariana and I'm 24 years old." The kids grin when they hear Mariana introduce herself.

Not sure what to do now, Mariana looks down at the piece of chocolate cake. She can tell they put a lot of effort into it, but it didn't turn out well. The cake is dry and looks like it will crumble if held wrong. It is lopsided. The glazing on top looks almost non-existent. Not wanting to hurt their feelings, Mariana decides to keep the cake.

"Where are your parents?"

"My dad is at work and my mom took off today since she is sick," Rei responds.

"Well..." Mariana pauses for a moment; thinking. "If you want you can come in, but only if you get permission from your mother."

Rei is quick to grab her siblings and rush across the street back to her home. Mariana walks back and inside her home. Grabbing a plate Mariana places the chocolate cake on top and unwraps it. A quarter of the cake crumbles. Grabbing a fork from her utensil drawer, Mariana takes a piece of the cake and brings it to her mouth. After hoping it won't harm her, Mariana eats it.

Mariana strains to keep a sour look off her face. The cake is overly dry. It doesn't taste like chocolate. They didn't have enough sugar. Once again, the glazing is barely there. Mariana sighs as she after she struggles to swallow the piece of cake. Mariana can't be upset whatsoever. She can tell they put so much work and effort into trying to make this.

A knock sounds and Mariana moves to the front door. She was just going to invite the sweet kids in to have hot chocolate. Though that changed quickly after tasting the cake. She decides to not tell them how it tastes and to offer to teach them. She opens the door.

"Yes!" All three kids scream. Mariana winces at this. A ringing filling her ears.

"Come in," Mariana moves to the side for them.

All of them thanking her. Each moves into her home. Taking off their shoes at the entrance. Mariana is impressed by how mannerly they are. A look of 'awe' covers their faces. Rei turns to Mariana as her two younger siblings more toward the couch.

"You have a beautiful home," Rei softly complements.

"Thank you very much."

Regine and Reiji sit quietly on the couch. It takes Mariana by surprise. They are nothing like she would have expected. Closing the door, She walks back over to the kitchen. Mariana begins to take out whisks, bowls, ingredients, and measuring spoons.

"Can you come here please?" Mariana directs her question toward all of them. Nodding they move to the kitchen. "I was just going to make you a hot chocolate, but I thought that I would teach you how I make a chocolate cake."

"Was our cake good?" Regine asks with a grin.

"Yes. Though I want to teach you three my recipe." Mariana waits a moment for any reaction. "How about it? Do you want to bake?"

Mariana and the kids sit on the couch watching a cartoon. Waiting for the cake to finish. She laughed. She actually laughed. Mariana had so much fun with them; the smiles, the giggles, everything. The kitchen looks like a disaster, but she didn't mind. She felt light.

Mariana glances over at the three siblings. All immersed in the tv. Deciding to get a head start on cleaning, Mariana stands up. Making her way to the mess. She starts to clean; wiping the counters, washing the dishes, mopping the floor. Rei walks over and sits on the stool while Mariana puts the last washed bowl away.

"Mariana?"

"Yes," Mariana responds as she stands up straight.

"Do you think Kage is handsome?" Mariana freezes and her mouth drops in utter shock at what Lydia just questioned.

"I-I do think he is very handsome." Mariana doesn't want to lie to the girl. "Why are you asking me this?"

"He is cold and distant. Well not to my family, Jean, and I. He told me yesterday that he met you. I can tell he has an interest in you. I really want you and him together. You are warm even though you are quiet and seem kind of distant too."

"Rei, that is sweet of you to say but, I don't know him." Mariana tries to end that conversation.

"But you can! He has never dated anyone," Rei pauses. " I'm sorry. I shouldn't be talking about this stuff. I just think you two would be perfect together."

"It's fine. Let's not worry about that." Rei nods, knowing she made Mariana a little uncomfortable. "Want to help me make hot chocolate. The cake is almost done."

"Yes."

The doorbell rings, stopping the kids' rant that Mariana's been listening to for the past 10 minutes. She places her down chocolate down on the coffee table and makes her way over. Her nerves jumping at who it could be. She doesn't know anyone else besides Jean and the kids. Shakely she opens the door a quarter of the way. Her nervousness skyrockets at who stands before her.

The kids rush over. Pushing the door open completely. All run towards the person once they see who it is.

"Uncle Kage!" They shout in unison.

'Uncle.' Mariana unspokenly repeats to herself.

"It's time to go. Your mother is starting to worry." His voice is deep yet clear. He doesn't have to try to project his voice if he wanted to.

The kids put their shoes back on and say their 'goodbyes' to Mariana. Kage only glancing at Mariana then making his way across the street with his nieces and nephew. Mariana shuts her door quickly and leans against it. She sighs.

'Uncle?'