Chapter 22: Court

It's been two weeks since the newfound news. It's been one week since Estephan was caught and arrested. It's been zero seconds since Mariana and Kage have been driving to the courthouse. His family had been permitted to attend. Estephan will undoubtedly be imprisoned but for how much, how long, and where to will be questioned today.

Kage and Mariana were silent with each other for the first few days about the creation they made. They finally discussed what happened, how they feel, and what decision they should make. After talking for a while, they've concluded to keep it. Mariana was very skeptical about all this and still is trying to sort out her emotions and thoughts.

Kage was trying hard to convince both of them. He knew it was something they would have to prepare and work for together. They still were wary but decided to keep. Kage thought last night as he lay next to Mariana. One thing he concluded was that he couldn't find anyone more worthy to carry his child. He never even imagined himself becoming a father.

"Are you even ready to be a father?" Mariana questions.

"No," Kage answers honestly with his head rested on his hands. "But I can be with time."

"What about me?" Mariana tears up.

"I've never met a woman so worthy of becoming a mother other than you."

"I'm just worried. I don't want to end up turning out like my mom. I'm... scared," Mariana confesses.

Kage turns on his side before voicing, "I am too. I'm afraid if I will turn out like my father and if I will be the parent our child needs. But I will tell you one thing. You've changed me and I know I won't become that. You won't become your mother either. You're too much of an angel for that to happen."

Mariana turns on her side as well and stares deeply into his shining blue orbs that the moon is reflecting off of. She gently plants her lips on top of his and pulls back. Mariana snuggles into him and releases all her stress and worry through a sigh. Kage wraps his steel arms around her protectively and reassuringly.

"Thank you," Mariana whispers before lulled into a cloud of dreams.

Kage glances at Mariana then speak, "Are you ready to face him?"

"Yes..." Mariana trails off.

"You don't have to be nervous. I'm here," Kage assures while grabbing her hand and kissing the back of it.

Mariana smiles. "I know. You're my savior."

Kage's eyes widen and he inhales deeply. Composing his facial expressions and holding back the build-up of emotions. Kage quickly kisses Mariana on the lips and refocuses his attention. Mariana blushes slightly at his action. Not expecting that.

Soon they reach the police station. Making they're way around to the back where the entrance of the court is. Mariana squeezes his hand and enters. He leads her down the hall and both are sent through a metal detector before continuing.

First thing Mariana notices is Kage's family. All of them sending reassuring looks to her. Regine and Reiji giggling out her name. Mariana grins at them and waves. Her smile falls as she looks up and sees her biggest nightmare restricted by cuffs on both wrists and ankles. Multiple offices surrounding him.

Kage tenses and becomes cold-hearted in an instant. Mariana sends grateful looks to the others as Kage and her pass by walking to the front. They come to their side of the court and stand behind the table. Estephan looking with sinister eyes and smile.

Mariana gulped and talked to herself, "His words and actions won't hurt you anymore. He doesn't own you. He'd stolen your heart but you took it back. You know your strength and where you belong."

Kage squeezes Mariana's side and gives her a look of concern under his mask. Mariana forces a closed-lip smile and blinks back tears. She didn't realize the judge has been talking the entire time she zoned out. Yet, Mariana is brought back to her past.

"You'll never be good enough," his words haunt her. "You'll never know who you are without me."

"This is what you get for not listening to me! Where did you think you were going? You have nowhere to go but here. Nobody wants you!" His screams prick her.

A tear escapes her eye as she recalls her only friend's words, "Mariana you don't know how blessed I am to have a friend like you. I've never had a friend that's an angel. You know what you are. Don't listen to them."

A gable sounds and the judge calls out, "Ms. Malavé."

"Why," Mariana whispers.

"Mariana?" The judge calls out in question.

"Why?"

"Ma'am...?"

"Why?" Mariana continues while all silently watch. "Why did you have to hurt me? What have I ever done to you? Did you have to break me? What strength do you get out of my weakness? Was leaving me breaking a rule? Just why?"

Mariana turns and looks at her demon in the eyes. Estephan stills and absorbs her words. He's shocked by her questions. Everyone's chest clenched painfully with her speech. The world freezing for a minute.

"It doesn't matter," Estephan grinds out, returning to his wild state.

Mariana turns away and sits down. All follow in suit and the judge continues. By the end, the judge has a clear view and decision on the case. He silences the room and breathes to exhales words. Kage raises immediately along with the others while Mariana nervously stands. Anxiety gnawing at her nerves.

"The decision is made. Mr. Estephan will be held for 60 days before returning to his home country and being held there for a minimum of 5 years without bail."

Kage's family cheers and tears brim their eyes. Mariana's tear ducts release years of pent up pain. Part of the heaviness on her chest slowly being relieved. Kage hugs Mariana from the side and dips his head down to rest on her shoulder. He places a feather-like kiss on her collarbone.

Kage takes a couple of steps back to ask the officer nearby questions. Estephan seizes the opportunity of distraction and attacks Mariana with great difficulty from the cuffs. He pins her down with his body weight. Punching and clawing at her in his light of red.

Kage, Lyting, and the officer struggle to pull Mariana away. The same goes for the officers tugging on Estephan. Shouts ring in the courtroom. Mariana grinds her teeth and squeezes her eyes tight every so often. Her arms taking most of the impact. Estephan holds on one last time and kicks her with all the force he could muster. Both are finally separated.

Mariana wheezes out a scream. She drops to the floor hard and holds her abdomen with shaky hands. Kage yells her name and drops down beside her. He checks her injuries and tries to get her to talk to him. Kage notices Mariana's silent cries becoming hearable. His eyebrows furrowed and his heart sinks with 'what ifs'.

Kage looks over her again and discovers his heartbreak matching hers. Blood drips on the floor from the canter of her pants. Others swarm them in fright and worry. They remain still. Eyes stuck on the substance staining not only the floor and her pants but their heart too.

Mariana's breathing becomes hollow and her eyes roll to the back to the back of her head. Kage catches her effortlessly. Tears rolling down his face for the first time in years. His family drop their head and take a step back. The sound of sirens reaching their ears. Yet, he hears nothing but the repeat of glass shattering. Glass that just got glued back together.