Chapter 20: Just Us

The next few days are quiet and long. Ever since Kage backed away from them almost kissing, he keeps his distance. It's like the time where Mariana fell on top of him all over again. He keeps his cold demeanor around her more. He's been mostly working and he slept in his home last night. Mariana couldn't help but shed droplets. She felt unwanted again.

The television plays the new premiere of a drama. The heater and fireplace are on. Mariana wears a creme turtleneck shirt with dark skinny jeans. Her feet covered with white socks rest on the edge of her coffee table. A mug of hot chocolate is held between her hands.

The front door opens. Mariana becomes startled and sets her drink down. She knew Kage was getting out around this time but she didn't expect him to come to her home with the way he has been acting. Looking over, Kage is removing his coat and boots. The once attached snow now melting.

Kage walks over and slowly sits next to Mariana. Each other's eyes trained on the other. His blue eyes hold so much emotion. Letting out a deep breath, Kage grabs Mariana's hands making them almost disappear due to the size difference. Her warmth brings him a sense of ease and comfort.

"I'm sorry," Kage struggles with his words. "I'm sorry for the way I've been acting toward you."

Mariana remains quiet and he takes this as a queue. "I'm just trying to figure this out... I-You... Please tell me about you're past."

"I don't think there's not much left to tell. You know the outline of it. I don't want to go into details..." Mariana trails off hesitantly.

Kage nods in understanding. "Show me."

Mariana scrunches up her face in confusion. "What?"

"Show me what he has done to you," Kage demands.

"I-I..."

"Mariana," Kage huffs out. "Show. Me. Now."

Mariana hesitantly takes her shirt off. Kage stands and closes the distance between them. He inspects her. Scars litter her torso. Long lines run down her sides. He walks around and shakes in anger. Her back scars are less in numbers but deeper than the front. He pushes Mariana's hair over her shoulders. More and more are being discovered. There's even a faint one on the back of her neck.

Kage gently places his hands on Mariana's sides. Pressing his body to the back of her's. His ragged breaths are the only thing heard through the house. He cools his temper. He doesn't want Mariana to see him lose control. Kage stayed away because he wasn't sure of the relationship between them. He wasn't sure how she sees him or if he reminds her of her past.

"Did you do anything to try to stop him?" Kage asks.

"I tried to fight back but it would just get worse every time I tried."

"Did you think it was normal for men to act like that?"

"Yes... I started to think that it was normal and stopped fighting back. My dad died when I was a toddler. I was never taught what a real man is and didn't have guidance. My only friend helped me and told what it should really be like. She's the reason I was able to move to Norway."

"So you thought I was like that?"

"Yes," Mariana answers truthfully. "At first I did."

"Why didn't you call for help at the time?"

Mariana turns around with disbelief. "I did try. I would always get caught and punished for it. I had no freedom!"

Kage raises his hand and Mariana flinches. "See... You still think I am like him. You think I will hurt you."

"No, I don't."

"Yes, you do. You flinched. It's obvious. You still think a guy that lays his hands on you in that manner is considered a 'man'."

"I flinched on instinct. Okay? I'm sorry! I do know one thing that I think about you!"

"And what is that?" Kage yells out in question.

"That you're afraid. You're afraid to be with me because of your past. You're afraid to get close to me because it's not normal for you. News flash Kage, I am too. We both have our pasts but I am trying. I am trying to work through it and move on. I am trying to open myself up and give myself the chance to experience what real love is." Mariana huffs at the end of her rant.

"I don't know how to love. I can't provide that for you. And I am not afraid." Kage speaks low.

"Yes, you can. I know it! You can love me but you're afraid. Don't deny it! If you're a real man prove it. Prove to me who you are!"

"You want to see what kind of man I am. You want to see what a true man is. Fine! I'll show you what a real man is."

Kage grabs Mariana and hoists her up so quick. Mariana got whiplash. One minute she is standing, the next minute she is up against the wall with her legs wrapped around Kage's waist. Mariana can't close her mouth. The amount of shock is too great for her.

Kage dips his head down and whispers by her ear. "I'm taking charge now. You asked for it and there's no backing out."

Kage carries Mariana upstairs. Her arms and legs tightly hold on to him. His hands holding onto her bottom. Kage creates friction between the two on their way. Mariana gasps and sticks her face in his neck.

Kage opens the door then slams it shut. He lays her halfway down. Kage takes in her face and body features. Blue connects with brown and he knows deep down she is nervous. Mariana breathes heavily. Words are stuck in her throat and choke her.

"I'm going to make you feel what you've been missing out on, " Kage says softly.

"You're not going to change your mind afterward and leave me?" Mariana questions with fear.

"Never. Tonight it's just us."

"Just. Us." Kage pecks her with every word.

Kage sets Mariana down the rest of the way and takes his place above her. He kisses her with passion and need. Mariana allows him to take her on an adventure both have wanted for a long time. An adventure that they couldn't explore with anybody else. Kage puts Mariana through more than one journey throughout the night. One wasn't enough.