Chapter 21: Bun

Harsh winds knock on the windows. The sun still shines despite the heavy snowfall. Kage opens his heavy eyelids despite the exhaustion. A soft smile grows at the sight of Mariana sleeping peacefully. He brushes away the stray hairs on her face. His body is partially on top of hers. Kage's head resting on Mariana's torso. Kage admires the woman that activated his heart.

Mariana flutters her eyes open with a sigh from caresses. A grin pops up when she sees Kage. A joyous laugh escapes her lips and Kage joins in. He's never seen her smile this big. A beaming light radiating from her.

"He stayed! He wants me," Mariana thinks with glee.

"How do you feel?" Kage's deep voice rings out.

"I... I don't know. You really stayed."

Kage smirks at Mariana not understanding the mean of his question but takes her answer anyway. "Yes, I stayed. I'm not leaving you. You're too precious."

Mariana shyly smiles at the man on her. Kage displays his teeth. His lemonade pink lips are not used to stretching this much. He decides it's best to tell her now. Kage doesn't want to ruin their morning so he plans it to keep it short.

"I know you're curious about my past. " Mariana becomes serious and listens intently. "I've always been trapped in my past. My dad was an alcoholic and would abuse my mom. sister, and I. I took as many beatings as I could to reduce my mom's and sister's beatings. I would constantly fight and argue with my father. Running away to my sacred place when it became too much. He did side work which I took over. I'm not proud but I was able to protect my sister. By then my mother passed away in suffer. My father died two years after."

"My sister had to take care of us and provide," Kage continues. "When I was old enough I put an end to the work and more. I was able to work and gain so much. I decided to stay and live in that house because it was part of what I had left of my mom. Every day I was reminded of the past and dark memories would consume me. I was stuck in a cage that didn't have a key to unlock it. I thought I deserved it for a long time. All I knew was how to be cold and build up walls. Then you came. I thought I could never love someone and open up my heart. Affection was never for me. Yet you changed that. I'm grateful and blessed to have you."

Mariana holds back the water ready to spill over. Mariana and Kage don't have to say anything. They can understand what the other is saying through each other's eyes. Kage suddenly lifts himself up and kisses Mariana from her lips down to the base of her neck.

"Come on. Get up. We need to eat breakfast." Mariana rolls her eyes playful at the love he has for breakfast. Putting his past behind focus.

Kage removes the covers and stands up in all his glory. Mariana diverts her eyes to the window as cherry stickers are stuck onto her cheek. Kage extends his hand and helps Mariana up. She winces at the pain making its presence known. Mariana drops her head and uses her hair to hide her face. She didn't want Kage to see.

Kage releases his hold as Mariana leaves the bed. She couldn't keep her feet planted for more than a second. Her knees give out and Kage wraps his arms quickly around her waist; bringing her tan flesh against his. Mariana holds on to Kage with a whimper. She's felt forceful pain before but nothing like this one. It was different and her legs felt numb and like Jell-O.

"You're too sore to walk," Kage states. "I should have gone easier on you."

"I-It's fine," Mariana stutters out.

"No, it's not," Kage disagrees. "I'm going to carry you."

Mariana doesn't get to say a word before she is swept off her feet. She squeaks as Kage takes her downstairs. His appetite is hungry enough for two breakfasts. One of them not being actual food.