Chapter 12: Close

A deep shade of purple and blue fill the sky. Pin-sized diamonds dimly shine down. Mariana places the last finished dish on the table. Her heart quavering every so often. She wasn't sure whether he was going to show up. Yes, he did agree but, he could make a last-minute decision and not appear. If he doesn't, Mariana assures herself it won't hurt as much seeing as though she has been through it many times before by him.

Knocks break her from her daze of inner thoughts. Her lungs taking deeper breaths than normal. She forces her legs to move, almost painfully. Cold metal meets hot flesh, without too much through the door is pulled open. Lifting her eyes Mariana stares into his blue marbles that tell hidden stories.

"Come in," Mariana gently welcomes. Kage nods in thanks as he walks through the door. "Do you need anything? Anything at all? Anything in parti-"

"I'm fine."

Both make their way to the dining room. His eyebrows shoot up in surprise at how much she prepared. He remains quiet, taking his seat like the last time. Mariana sits down and wrings her hands together under the table.

"Please, eat," Mariana mumbles, not knowing anything else to say.

Mariana feels upset with herself. Mentally scolding every so often. It's been about a half-hour since they began eating. Neither of them uttering a single word. Both soon to be ready to have dessert.

"What music is that?" Kage says catching Mariana off guard and in the midst of mental scolding.

Mariana snaps her head up and says, "Huh?"

"The music, what is it?" Mariana then realizes she left her little speaker this entire time.

"Oh... It's just some music I listen too."

"What genre is it?

"It is Spanish music." Mariana leaves the table and turns up the speaker just as the song changes to another.

Mi memoria ha conservado Lo que se ha llevado El viento

Y yo estoy estancado En esos tiempos

Cuando tú me amabas Y con gran fulgor sentía Tus besos

Dime Quítame esta duda

Quién es ésta extraña Que se ha apoderado De tu ser?

Dónde está la amante Loca que me Erizaba la piel?