Chapter 7: 1st Day

Her face is emotionless. Her body is motionless. Her mind reminds blank. Her feelings are at bay. A cloud of emptiness surrounds her.

The sound of the doorbell rings her ears. Again. Again. Again. Then, rapid, loud bang starts. Rolling out of bed, she grabs everything in robotic motions. She moves downstairs and opens the door.

He's angry. He doesn't like waiting. Yet, it is disintegrates at the stotic face on Mariana. Kage knows something is off. He's really thrown off at what he catches a peek at. Deciding not to question, Kage walks back to his truck.

"Is something wrong?" Kage receives no answer.

"Is it because of yesterday?" Kage tries again.

"I'm done trying," Kage mumbles to himself.

The ride is silent. Kage thinking about work. Mariana thinking about... things. The next few hours consisted of Mariana taking notes and pictures here and there. Kage explaining things in the shortest way possible. There isn't much awkwardness between the two as time continues to pass on.

Mariana is walking to a restaurant when she feels a strong tug on her purse. Looking back, a fist almost comes into contact with her cheek. Grasping as tight of a hold on her purse, she takes steps back. It's no use. His strength is pulling her forward.

"Give it!" Mariana doesn't let go though.

This is causing a scene. People are starting to stare and notice the situation. Mariana falls back with her purse in her hand. Lifting her head, the scene stuns her. Kage is on top of the man, hitting him. Blood starting to spill from the now unconscious body. Others around start to scatter away in different directions.

Rushing, Mariana pulls Kage back with all her strength. He turns to her. His eyes are livid. Veins popping out. Breathing coming out in anger filled puffs.

"Please stop," Mariana softly pleads. "It's over now. Everything's fine."

"Are you crazy?! Are you trying to get hurt?! Did think you were going to be able to fight him off!?!" Kage shakes her by her arms.

"I'm sorry," Mariana chokes out as her eyes tear up.

Kage slowly evens out his emotions. Deciding on something he wouldn't ever do with anyone else, he grabs her hand and leads them to his truck. Mariana is confused as to what he is planning to do.

Half an hour later, the trees become thicker. The road is completely off track from any other. Her emotions stir into one of worry. The scenery is very fascinating but, they're driving further away from civilization.

"W-Where are we go-going?"

"Don't worry," came his short reply.

Kage puts his truck into park and turns it off. Getting out, his walks to the other side helping Mariana get down. Grasping her hand he leads her on a small path between the trees. After a minute of walking the path opens up. Mariana is in awe of the scenery before her.

Trees and bushes surround the waterfall. The water a mixture of greens and blues. Everything's is bright and alive despite being autumn. Decaying flower petals lay around.

"It's beautiful," she whispers.

"It's a sacred place to me." Kage takes a moment before saying these next words. "No one else has been here but me. You the first and I'm glad you're the first..."

"Thank you." Mariana couldn't find anything else to say.

"I want you to come here when things get hard. Maybe it will even help you with your writing." Kage says all there is, except for one.

Both sit on the grass. Eyeing the view in peace. A content smile makes its way onto Mariana's face. Warmth fills her chest.

"This is a memorable way to end a day."

"It is," Kage mumbles out.

"Is this a wrong time to start asking questions?" Mariana turns to him.

"No. You go ahead and ask what you want."

"Why bring me out of all people?"

"I'm still trying to figure that out myself."

"Um... When did you find this?"

"I found it when I was 10 years old. A lot of problems were occurring at that time and I decide to run away for a moment. I found this. Ever since then, this has been my go-to place to leave the world behind."

"It's a beautiful way to escape reality."

"It is," Kage agrees. "What about you? Ever had an escape?"

"Yeah, kind of... My escape was my bedroom closet." Kage doesn't say anything as his face hardens. "My story is not one to be told."

"What happened to your arm?"

"What?"

"Your arm." Kage nods at the patch he seen in the morning. "What happened to it?"

"Oh... I don't know."

"You don't know?"

"It's nothing." Mariana immediately closes herself off.

"Tell what happened," Kage demands in a hard tone.

"It's none of your business," Mariana speaks with anger seeping through.

Kage roughly grabs her arm and brings it up. All while keeping his eyes train on her. He pulls her sleeve back. Mariana struggles to break free of his hold. Her breathing becomes uneven. The white medical bandage showing. Faint blood appearing through the thickly wrapped bandage.

"S-S-STOP!" Kage lets go of her arm with a huff.

"Never again will you do that, you hear me?"

No response.

"Do you hear me?"

"Yes," Mariana's voice cracks out.

"Good."