Chapter 18: Not Your Daughter

Two hours since Mariana was released and brought home. She takes at the steamed vegetables and stirs the rice. Kage and Mariana almost argued on her moving about and cooking. He gave into her. Mariana really wanted to cook her own food. The hospital servings not suiting her taste. Kage went out working after dropping Mariana off. Needing to finish paper, he will be back soon.

Mariana wipes her hands and heads over to the door. Sporadically wincing as she takes steps. Mariana inhales deeply and recuperates herself. The inching of the door reveals her mother. Dread and exhaustion fill Mariana. She knew one of the two will find out where she lives and visit her. She's not even that afraid of her mother anymore. Mariana just doesn't want to deal with her anymore and is tired of hiding from her past. The one thing she wants if for it to be permanently over.

"Hija, cómo estás?" Her mother questions.

"Bien," Mariana keeps her answer short.

"Qué? You don't want to see your mother?" Her mother's sarcasm seeps through.

"No," Mariana answers looking her mother straight in the eye.

"You know I'm really disappointed in you. You run away from your husband and family. I've always tried to make sure you were disciplined and listened." The scowl is prominent.

"Actually, it is ex-fiance. He was my ex-fiance that I was forced to be with," Mariana corrects the woman.

A hand makes its imprint on Mariana's left cheek. Her head snaps to the right with great force that her neck cracks. The eruption of fire can be seen. Eyes blur from the impact.

"How dare you!"

"Please leave," Mariana voices calmly.

"You disgrace!"

"I think you're talking about yourself, Silvana."

Silvana raises her hand again. A hand snatches her wrist and holds it firmly. Silvana yells at the person restricting her from striking. Mariana looks behind her and sees a familiar face. Their eyebrows are slightly furrowed and their frown hardens.

"I believe you're not welcomed here," Lyting voices. "Leave."

"Who are you to tell me when to leave? This is my daughter!"

"Yes, your daughter that doesn't want you." Mariana holds her head higher at hearing his words.

"Leave, Silvana," Mariana says. "I'm not your daughter anymore."

Huffing, Silvana leaves with a reddened face. Mariana releases a breath of relief. Her exhaustion setting in twice as much now. Mariana closes the door and hurries to the kitchen to stir and check on dinner. She walks back and restrains her winces from showing.

"Hi, Lyting. I'm sorry you had to hear and see that. Can I help you with something?"

"It's fine, Mariana. No, I'm fine. I actually came to drop these flowers off. My brother-in-law got held back at work so he gave these to me to give to you." Lyting smiles and hands over the flowers.

"Thank you for dropping them off." Mariana stares at the flowers with fondness.

"Please sit. You must be tired from working all day."

"It's fine. I must get home. Kadlin made my favorite dish. Thank you though."

They bid their goodbyes and Lyting heads home. Mariana leans against the front door. Her mind replaying everything since she first laid eyes on Kage. A small weak smile plasters itself on her lips. She puts distributes the flowers in two vases. Mariana finishes dinner before making her way upstairs.

Mariana rinses that last bit of conditioner remaining in her hair. She turns off the water and steam swirl up. She drains the water from her hair. As her hand grips the towel, the bathroom door slams open and the shower curtain is ripped open. Mariana screams and scrambles to cover up her body.

"Mariana, are you okay?! Lyting told me what happened?" Mariana didn't pay attention to his word as she panicked to hide.

Kage assesses the sight in front of him. He swallows the giant lump in his throat. Words clog his airway. His jaw clenches and his muscles tighten. Mariana looks at him with wide eyes. Hoping he didn't see anything. Kage's clothes seem to have shrunken by a little.

Clearing his throat, he speaks, "I will wait outside."

Kage's words are strained. Mariana nods vigorously attempting he get him to leave quicker. She releases a breath of relief at the closed door. Mariana takes longer than usual to get ready. It's not just because of her wound. It is because of her trying to regain her composure to face him.

Exiting the bathroom, Mariana sits next to Kage on her bed. No words are said. he stares at her intensely for minutes on end. His softly rests his hand on her left cheek. Carefully not to apply pressure to the dark bruise. Mariana relaxes at his touch.

"She hurt you and I wasn't even here to protect you," Kage voices lowly with dripping guilt.

"It's okay. She didn't hurt me as bad as she used to." Kage understood the under meaning. It wasn't only physically but emotionally too.

"Lyting called me and told me what happened. I rush to leave and get here as soon as I could."

"I know," Mariana lightly giggles recalling his sudden entrance. "Lyting helped me. I'm grateful. I also love the flowers. They're beautiful."

"You're welcome," Kage responds trying to hide his bashfulness.

"I made dinner. Let's go eat." Mariana tries to get up but Kage pushes her back down.

"No. You've been moving enough. I will you get the dinner and bring it up."

"Okay," she agrees with a smile directed at him.

"Did she say anything about her and that guy coming? Did she say anything specific or suspicious?"

"No."

Kage takes deep breathes then continues. "If I ever see her disrespect you, I won't hesitate to have real consequences thrown at her. They must think it will be an easy fight but they don't know my past. You belong here with me."

Mariana blushes at his last words. He leaves the room with determination, lost in his own thoughts. Mariana quietly sequels. Hugging a pillow to her chest.

"He wants me," Mariana thinks with a huge grin.